Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace


Outside Foundation Crack.

I have a foundation crack on the outside of my house. It does not go all the way through. I have just finished installing insulatin on the side of this wall and there is no sign of moisture or a crack from the inside. I am going to be removing the concrete pad in front of the house and would like to repair this crack at the same time so that it does not expand all the way through. I know I will need to dig down to the bottom of the crack but I do not know what to use to make the repair. I have seen several products that claim to be able to fix this. Any sugestions?

Foundation Crack.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-05T20:57:41+0000  by gsmith2885 gsmith2885

Hello GSmith,


Great advice from Pat here but I would suggest using an alternative product in this application.


Hydraulic cement it is a great product and it will stop leaks in foundation when used as directed but it will not prevent already developed crack from further expansion. Hydraulic cement has very high compressive strength, but much lower tensile strength. 


I would look into a 2 part CRACK-PAC injection epoxy.

Crack pac.JPG

In addition, with this product ,no crack preparation (expansion) is needed, this product is suitable for repair of cracks ranging from ¹⁄₆₄" to ¹⁄" wide.



Hope this helps.



Best Answer

Posted 2012-03-06T19:54:51+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hello GSmith!


Your solution is as simple as a four-pound container of DRYLOK Fast Plug, water as called for in the mixing instructions, and a masonry trowel.

UGL DRYLOK Fast Plug.jpgLook for the words "Hydraulic Cement" on the container.

Prep the area using a chisel or Dremel rotary tool to open the crack ... as instructed on the container.


Mix with water and apply ... the product expands to fill cracks as it dries and can be painted when cured (approx. 48-hours).


NOTE: This outstanding product is commonly used to stop active water leaks. One of my contractors told me he stopped "a three-foot squirting stream of water coming through the foundation" using this product. 


Fast Plug can be applied to wet or dry surfaces, is rated interior/exterior, and also helps reduce radon gas penetration.


Posted 2012-03-06T17:22:25+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thank you both for the help. I was looking at something similar to Crack-Pac. I believe this is the way to go for a permanent fix. I will be applying it soon.


George Smith

Posted 2012-03-06T21:50:50+0000  by gsmith2885

Outstanding George!


The Home Depot sells almost everything in a "Good, Better, Best" format.


Crack-Pac will certainly fit into the "Best" category.


When complete, come back and let us know how the product worked ... and please take time to post photos.

Posted 2012-04-05T17:30:23+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question