Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Outside corner wall painting

What is the best technique to paint two interior walls that meet on an outside corner with a different colors for each wall?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-18T14:13:39+0000  by Wigil Wigil

Good morning Wigil!

Welcome to our community! My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot. This is a great question! . :smileyhappy:

There are a few ways you can approach this dilemma. 

One option would be to use painters tape specifically for newly painted surfaces on the opposite side of the corner that you are painting. Make sure you press the tape down very well to ensure that no paint bleeds through. Cutting in with a paint brush that isn't loaded with a lot of paint will also reduce your risk of bleeding. If you choose this method you will need to wait 24 hours for the paint to set before you can put painters tape on it. ScotchBlue painters tape for delicate surfaces would be the tape you will want to use.

If you don't want to use painters tape you can use a small roller. If you do this do not load the roller with a lot of paint  and make sure to press lightly when you are rolling.

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Happy Painting!

Christine  :smileyhappy:

Posted 2012-04-18T14:48:32+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

The technique used is somewhat determined by what kind of corners are present and whether the walls are tectured or not:

Smooth wall outside corners with sharp drywall metal bead corners lend themselves well to using the touch-up roller. Before going to the corner roll off the excess paint. Too much paint on the roller will cause a bead of paint to sneak around the corner.  Several light passes is preferable to trying to make it in  single heavy stroke.

If that same corner has had techture applied, it is highly doubtful that you will get a crisp edge. Here I would either free hand the corner edge, or tape it with painters tape. To get a really sharp edge, paint the edge of the tape with either the color which the tape is sitting on, or if that paint is no longer available, paint it with a clear acrylic. The sample jars of Behrs' "deep base" paint without any colorant added work very well for this edge sealing purpose. These jars are inexpensive and convenient to work out of.

If the corner utilizes a "bull nose" rounded corner,  you must decide where to have the two colors meet. I personally prefer to have them meet where the rounded corner begins, rather than right in the middle of the radius. Decide to which room the whole  radius would look more appropriate.. The procedure for taping and sealing the edge is the same here. You will want to begin by drawing a very light pencil line with a yard stick as a guide for your tape. If you free hand it, you will probably end up with a wavy line.

Good Luck!

Posted 2012-04-19T00:48:57+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+