Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Outside wall

I have a hairline crack in my outside wall that runs about 2 ' down from our kitchen window that when it rains hard alot of water gets into the kitchen.  The house is only 5 years old.  How can I seal it?  thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-12T15:45:18+0000  by All4Jesus All4Jesus



My name is Tom, also known here as HD116, and a big fan of that very popular carpenter as well! I have addressed this question on many occasions in the aisles of my Home Depot in the Atlanta metro area. There is a wonderful product that is designed specifically for sealing cracks in concrete that is perfect for your application. 


It is called Sikaflex manufactured by the Sika Corporation. It is ideal for your particular problem and installs with just a simple, standard caulk gun. You will find that it will create a permanent bond that adheres to the concrete without the need for a primer, resists shrinking that retains elasticity, and although it is urethane based, it is paintable! For your convenience, instructions on application follow.


1) Clean all surfaces. Joint walls must be sound, clean, dry, frost-free, and free of oil and
grease and any other contaminants.

2) Priming is not necessary as your application is not subject to water immersion.

3) Recommended application temperatures: 40°-100°F.  Place nozzle of gun
into bottom of the joint and fill entire joint. Keep the nozzle in the sealant, continue on with
a steady flow of sealant preceding the nozzle to avoid air entrapment. Avoid overlapping of
sealant to eliminate entrapment of air. You can tool as required. Proper design is 2:1 width to
depth ratio.



Hope that helps!

Posted 2011-10-12T16:44:03+0000  by HD116
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question