Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Over the range microwave pulling off bottom of cabinet. How to reinforce cabinet?

My over the range microwave is screwed into an upper cabinet.  The microwave is pulling the bottom of the cabinet down and the microwave isn't flush with the bottom of the cabinet anymore. 

How can I reinforce or replace the bottom?  The other sides of the cabinet seem to be secure.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-07T14:15:06+0000  by Maddie5 Maddie5

Is this something new or something happening over a period of time?  In addition to be attached through the cabinet, there's a metal bracket that attaches to the wall behind the microwave.  The microwave clips into the bracket, which helps to support it's weight.  I'm wondering if the microwave isn't attached to that bracket correctly or the bracket is installed incorrectly leading to the cabinet supporting the entire weight of the microwave?

Posted 2013-06-07T14:50:05+0000  by Adam444

I'm not sure if it's new or over time -- I inherited the problem from the previous homeowner.  Either way, I am trying to have a new microwave installed, but the bottom of the cabinet isn't strong enough to support a microwave.

Posted 2013-06-07T15:33:34+0000  by Maddie5

Hi Maddie5,

The only solution to your problem is to replace the cabinet. The cost of repair would exceed the cost of replacing it.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like it was of marginal quality to start with.

In order to match the existing adjoining cabinets you could replace the cabinet body and reuse the existing doors.

Adam444 is right, check the mounting bracket, it may be broken or missing. Your new microwave will have one included with it in the box, be sure it is properly installed with the new microwave.

Mike,

Posted 2013-06-11T00:03:07+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+