Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Overgrown Front/Back Yard - Full of Weeds - How to Proceed?

Greetings everyone!

I live in Southern California (Riverside County) and have procrastinated enough with the concept of maintaining my yard.  I try to keep it short when I can get ahold of a mower and trimmer but watering it to keep it green kept it so but it has remained a weed infested area. I've finally purchased my own set of tools (mower, trimmer, blower etc) so the growth you see in the pictures will cease to exist. 

I want to do what's described in this Yahoo Answers post; My yard is completely overrun with weeds. What do you recommend I do?

However, I'm not sure if it's the best option for my yard in its current state during this time of year.

So, what can I do to turn this yard around? What products should I look into? I don't have the capability right now to turn up the entire yard (tilling I believe?) but if that's the only viable option then I can work towards that. 

Here's what I'm working with and thank you all for your input!

Photo 2013-05-02 13.07.04.jpgPhoto 2013-05-02 13.07.12.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-02T20:27:35+0000  by asanchez1986 asanchez1986

Hello asanchez1986,

Welcome to the site,:smileylol:

One of the simplest ways to find out what kind of lawn you have left, is to spray the weeds with a grassy and broadleaf weed control, like Specracide Weed stop You will need to keep watering at least 3 times a week, then mow, wait a few days and spray the weeds. You will have to do this at least 3 times I think from the amout of weeds I see in your pictures.

You may have a decent lawn under all of those weeds.

Although there are a lot of weed and feed granulars out there, I think it would be best to do them separately in your extreme case.You may not have to reseed,and  when your lawn comes back,you can cut down the frequency and increase the length of time you water. Riverside gets pretty hot, I have a house there, so good watering habits are a must, 1/2 hour to 45 minutes one time a week will get the roots down deep and healthy.

Use a weed preventer like Scott's Halts in January [for us So. Cal. and inland areas] ise a good fertilizer such as Scotts Turf builder to feed your lawn.

You may need to reseed, but if you are patient, you may just bring back your lawn.

scotts turfbuilder plus halts.jpgspectracide weed stop for lawns.jpgScotts Turf Builder.jpg

Hope this helps,

Posted 2013-05-03T20:26:26+0000  by Gail_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+