Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

PAINTING A BEDROOM

I have a blue and red paint that is in my kids room.I was going to change it to a gray color I know I will have to use a primer but what kind of primer would be good to use

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-13T18:27:11+0000  by Bigboy96 Bigboy96

Thanks for stopping by the community - we're glad your here.

Applying a white primer over deep colors will usually result in having to paint at least two coats of paint on top.  So essentially you are painting the room three times.  When using the BEHR ULTRA (paint and primer in one) most colors only require two coats - the primer coat is the final color.

I hope this will save you some time.

Posted 2013-01-13T18:38:05+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
What about if the walls get moist or damped I think the air is coming from the windows and that's whats making the wall damped and moist
Posted 2013-01-13T18:52:53+0000  by Bigboy96

You should only paint once the walls are dry.  The BEHR ULTRA has a tighter bond than most paints - so it will resist any moisture problems (from outside the wall).  Using a sheen like satin will allow you to scrub the walls clean if needed.  

Thank you once again for joining the community!

Bigboy96 wrote:
What about if the walls get moist or damped I think the air is coming from the windows and that's whats making the wall damped and moist

Posted 2013-01-13T18:58:29+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Having been a painting contractor in the Chicago area for many years, condensation on the walls was often a problem in winter, especially in older homes with inadequate insulation. Even relatively newer homes would often have places where the insulation would have settled. Outside corners and ceiing corners on outside walls were the worst offenders. I would counter this by turning the house heat up higher, letting the furnace fan run on constant and bringing in a box fan to keep the air moving. After the wall was dried and painted, the fan would be directed to the fresh paint ot get it to dry before condensation could again form.

Unfortunately for the painter, the very water based paint he is applying is temporarily jacking the relative humidity sky high.Once dry, the humidity rapidly goes away. One of the big problems for homes in the cold areas of the country is actually keeping the inside humidity reasonably high. Wihout the addition of moisture, the air gets bone dry when it is in single digits outside.

Posted 2013-01-14T06:04:51+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+