Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

PAINTING TILE

I AM TIRED OF MY YELLOW KITCHEN WALL TILE.  HOW DO I PAINT OVER THEM?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-19T20:34:22+0000  by PATTYGEE PATTYGEE

Hi PATTYGEE,

Thanks for your question and thanks for joining us on the community!

Luckily, we have had this question come out quite a bit here already. A few months ago a user asked the same question. To view the response that fellow expert   wrote regarding painting over your tiles, click on the image below to find out more information.

How to paint over tile

Were there any other kitchen projects you were planning on doing? Let us know and if you would like, posting before and after pictures of your tiled wall would be great.

Hope to hear from you soon.

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-10-20T17:18:25+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I have personally tested every primer which Home Depot sells on slick, virgin ceramic tile.  Shellac based Zinsser's "Bin" and its clear version shellac are hands down the best for adhesion.

A  favorite of mine for small areas is the Zinsser Spray Shellac. It leaves a very thin bond coat, free of any brush marks. Virtually any type finish coat can be used over it. Finish coating with spray cans leaves a brush mark free, thin, durable coat.

Spray shellac is also useful in crafts projects. Plain glass vases or containers can be painted when a bond coat of shellac is put on the item first.

Posted 2012-10-21T18:05:46+0000  by ordjen

Here are a couple examples of what can be done using Zinsser's Spray Shellac as a bond coat and Rust-Oleum spray products:

Posted 2012-10-22T05:03:42+0000  by ordjen

oops:

Posted 2012-10-22T05:05:13+0000  by ordjen

thanks

Posted 2012-10-28T05:01:39+0000  by anton

thanks again

Posted 2012-10-28T05:02:30+0000  by anton

what about the grout lines? do you just paint over them too??

Posted 2013-06-11T13:10:41+0000  by ajohnston

Welcome to The Community ajohnston!

Cleaning the grout is very important ... this porous surface will absorb many of the products used while cooking.

CAUTION:

If you use a water-based primer over grease, the stain will bleed back through the primer. So, stay away from water-based primer while executing this project.

FINALLY:

Most DIYers would simply paint over the entire surface.

After painting, you could tape the grout lines and paint them an accent color ... this is a labor intensive exercise, but if you are particular about the decor this is a great way to update everything.

Frog Tape is medium adhesive and will help you make flawless lines ... if you take time to apply the tape very straight.

Posted 2013-06-11T14:43:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hello Again PattyGee!

Painting over tile is never a bad idea, unless you are painting over floor tile.

At present, neither Behr nor Glidden offer a product designed for walking surfaces that will properly adhere to tile floors.

SO WHAT ABOUT WALL TILE:
Painting over wall tile is a great idea and you would usually paint over the grout lines at the same time.

Start by priming with Zinsser Cover Stain or Zinsser Shellac-based BIN.

Wait about an hour and apply any topcoat.

IS A SHOWER WALL DIFFERENT?
Absolutely!

In a shower, use the same primer but use oil-based paint as your topcoat.

Water-based paints constantly exposed to water will degrade much more rapidly than more durable oil-based paints.

So, after priming the shower wall, use an oil-based topcoat like Behr Oil-based Semi-Gloss or Glidden Porch and Floor Oil/Polyurethane Hi-Gloss.

It will last much longer when periodically exposed to water.
Posted 2014-07-08T21:35:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Other Community Members are making great examples of faux and furniture treatments:

Outstanding examples!
Posted 2015-12-03T17:39:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+