Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paint Base and Tintable Paint Base Help Needed

I wanted a true white trim for 2 bedrooms and their doors.  The trim paint was to go over stained wood and the doors would be new wooden doors.  I picked up the can of Premium Plus Interior Satin Enamel - Ultra Pure White® No. 7050.  I just went ahead and painted my trim/window trim and sills/doors.  While looking up something on the web I noticed that this was actually a tintable base and the Behr website states that with tintable bases the following: FOR TINT BASES – DO NOT USE WITHOUT THE ADDITION OF TINTING COLORANTS.  Does this mean I did something wrong?  Is it just a base without paint on my interior?  Do I need to paint again over this?  If so, am I just to add a white color to this or choose - White No. 7052 since that doesn't seem to be listed as a tintable base.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-27T02:38:36+0000  by katc katc

katc,

Relax, Ultra Pure White may be used straight out of the can if you want a really pure, bright white. Pure whites are desireable when next to light or pure pastel type colors. Grayed down whites look absolutely terrible next to a pastel color!

Most paints that simply say "white" on the label have already been dulled down a bit, Why? Because a little lamp black or raw umber greatly increases the covering ability  of that white. With a grayed down white, you might possibly get by with only one coat rather than two, but at the cost of a duller, grayer white.

What Behr calls Ultra Pure White, other manufacturers would call a "white base" or "No.1 Base" These are pure whites, but often don't contain the same amount of titanium dioxide, the premium white pigment found in quality paints. Because Behr contains so much of this white pigment, it only mixes fairly light colors out of Ultra Pure White. Other manufacturers will  make much stronger colors out of their whites because there is much less white pigment to overcome.

In short, if your woodwork looks good, you need do nothing more to it.

Hope this has cleared up your confusion.

Posted 2013-04-27T05:27:27+0000  by ordjen

But what is pure white??  I count at least four interior 1-gal paints designated "pure white" in the product title.  One of them (PPU18-6 Ultra) clearly appears tinted, but there's no difference immediately apparent among the others.  Neither the technical specifications nor product description provide sufficient information to make an informed purchasing decision.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-gal-UL3752-Ultra-White-Semi-Gloss-Interior-Paint-375201/202263964

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-gal-Pure-White-Semi-Gloss-Interior-375001/100670964

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-gal-Ultra-Pure-White-Semi-Gloss-Enamel-Interior-Paint-375001/203202285

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-gal-PPU18-6-Ultra-Pure-White-Semi-Gloss-Enamel-Interior-Paint-375001/204124279

Posted 2013-09-04T23:39:46+0000  by Tape

Tape,

I have been selling the Ultra paint since it was first introduced several years ago. Your question has me stumped.

3750 is the Ultra Pure White Semi-Gloss which we sell in the store. It can be used straight out of the can where a very pure white is neccessary, or it can be tinted to hundreds of light colors, including pastels.

The other "bases' sold in the store are 3754 and 3753, which are the midium and deep base respectively.

I have never heard of 3752!

If PPU18-6 is entered into the computer under "color", Ultra Pure White comes up with no additional tint to be added.

I will give Behr a ring in the morning to see is they can explain what, if any, difference there is between the four. I am sitting at home as I write and Behr is closed for the evening.

Posted 2013-09-05T04:23:48+0000  by ordjen

Tape and Katc,

The 7050 and 3750 paints are the Ultra Pure white tinting bases. They can, however, be used straight out of the can when an especially bright , clean white is desired.

I called Behr to inquire about the 3752. This is a product which is not found in the stores for some reason. It has been somewhat grayed down to provide better coverage. When most paint manufacturers market a "White", it has been tinted down to provide better hiding qualities, however, if placed next to a pastel color, they look very gray!

Tape, the PPU18-6 is just the number given for the color card in the store which shows the Ultra Pure White color.

Katc, you have done nothing wrong in your choice of paints and color. If you are happy with the way it turned out, there is nothing more neccessary to do.

Hope this has answered both your questions.

Posted 2013-09-05T19:31:24+0000  by ordjen

Hi Ordjen,

The reason I asked because I ordered a few gallons of Behr Ultra paint last night and was confused by the selection of pure/ultra whites.

I ended up ordering the following:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-gal-Pure-White-Semi-Gloss-Interior-375001/100670964

I'm assuming the 3750 mentioned in your post is this one, which is "store only":

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-gal-Ultra-Pure-White-Semi-Gloss-Enamel-Interior-Paint-375001/203202285

Both of are model and part #: 375001.  I'm not sure what the difference (if any) is, but I doubt it matters for my intended application.

BTW, I need to pick up (among other things) a new roller frame.  Is there one in particular you recommend?  The only criteria I have is that it needs to fit 9" roller covers and should be threaded to accept standard extension polls.

Does this one look okay?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/9-in-Ever-Grip-Roller-Frame-RF-215/203713314

Posted 2013-09-07T00:24:37+0000  by Tape

ordjen wrote:

Tape and Katc,

The 7050 and 3750 paints are the Ultra Pure white tinting bases. They can, however, be used straight out of the can when an especially bright , clean white is desired.

I called Behr to inquire about the 3752. This is a product which is not found in the stores for some reason. It has been somewhat grayed down to provide better coverage. When most paint manufacturers market a "White", it has been tinted down to provide better hiding qualities, however, if placed next to a pastel color, they look very gray!

[...]

Hope this has answered both your questions.

I had left my previous reply open in a browser tab for a while before actually posting it, so I didn't see your message above at the time of writing, but yes, it addresses my main concern: that I had selected a pure white that hadn't been dulled down, which as you mention above as well as other posts, provides for better coverage at the expense of purity -- an important consideration as this was to be used on trim against "Linen White" walls.

Thank you very much for taking the time to clear up the confusion.

Posted 2013-09-07T00:45:45+0000  by Tape

Tape,

Sounds like you are ready to roll!

Roller handles are pretty much standard in the 9 inch width. They all take a standard screw in thread, which is the same as any screw in broom handle you might have at home.

Good luck

Posted 2013-09-07T02:35:18+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+