Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paint Stripping

I recently bought a old farm house, upstairs underneath the carpet is 4 layers of paint, I bought some heavy duty chemical paint stripper thinking it would take up some of the paint it's taken off one layer of paint, any ideas on how to get the rest of the paint up? I have a hand held sander but I'm not even sure it would help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-15T21:03:49+0000  by Jozzy Jozzy

Good afternoon Jozzy and welcome to the community.

My name is TC and I work in the paint department of home depot in southern California. I have run into this problem before. Since you say a chemical stripper only took of one layer of paint I think you may have lead based paint on the floor. If the floor was painted before the early seventies this might be your problem. The Home Depot sells lead test kits that are inexpensive and accurate. If you do find the paint   is lead based. You should contact your local office of the EPA for information concerning local regulations for removing, sealing or enclosing the lead using special materials. You cannot simply paint over the current paint. If you do the test kit and it comes back lead free then you are in much better shape. If there is no lead take off as much of the old paint as will come off easily. You don’ need to take it down to a bare surface. Make sure the surface is clean and dry and apply a couple off coats good primer appropriate to your substrate. After the primer has time to dry apply the appropriate paint top coat and your floor will look great.

I hope I have been of some help. If you have any further questions please do contact us. We are here to help.

TC

Posted 2011-07-15T23:10:30+0000  by TC_ArtDog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+