Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Paint coverage question

Hi, I'm having a problem with coverage, and hope someone can help.

My family room (approx 320 sqft) is currently a very, very light and pale green (the name was Crocodile Tearsby Olympic); this room was painted about six years ago.

So I went to one of the other big-box home improvement stores and picked up a gold color; one of the 'paint and primer in one' paints.  This paint supposedly would cover it one coat.  Guess what, it didn't.

So I went and got a *second* gallon, and it STILL didn't completely cover; some of the green is visible behind the gold.  I'm rolling the paint on, using a cover with a 3/8" nap.

After looking through the Consumer Reports Buyers Guide, it turns out that Behr Ultra is rated number one; so I'm going to pick up a gallon of that.

Two questions, though:  Should I have put on a coat of primer before putting on the first coat of gold?  And now that I have two coats of gold, and it's *almost* covering the old paint, should I put primer on *now*?  Or would primer at this point be a waste of time (and money), and should I just put on the coat of Behr Ultra?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-03T04:24:26+0000  by dalewalt dalewalt

Absolutely Dale!

Go straight over the other paint with Ultra.

Two coats of Behr Ultra will cover most any color.

Your local Paint Department should be able to make the exact same color so be certain to bring your can.

Best Answer

Posted 2012-01-03T16:45:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Sorry, one more piece of info:  This is drywall that I had originally installed six years ago. (in case that matters)

Posted 2012-01-03T04:26:16+0000  by dalewalt

when you say that your room is approx 320 sqft., does this number represent your floor area or wall area. Painting over latex with latex does not usually require primer unless you have problem areas such as drywall patches or stains that need to be addressed. "Paint and primer in one or one coat coverage" is just a gimick used for marketing. there are a few factors that will determine how far a gallon of paint will cover. 1. was the existing coat sanded or deglossed? Higher sheen paints need extra prep for proper coverage. 2. Are the walls smooth or textured? An "orange peel texture" could easily add 1/3 more surface area to cover in a given area vs a smooth wall. 3. What type of tint base was used in the paint being used? Deep tint bases are usually harder to cover or hide with and may require additional coats. Solids by volume of the paint being used? A gallon of 100% solids paint will cover 1604 sq ft per gallon @ 1 mil dry film thickness (DFT). If your paint is only 35% solids and applied @ 1 mils DFT, it will only cover 562 sq ft/gal. If your coating thickness is 3 mils DFT then your spread rate will be 187 sq ft/gal before any waste or application technique is factored in. The hiding power of paints can also be affected by the type of pigments or fillers used during manufacturing. Hope this info helps.

Posted 2012-01-03T13:23:09+0000  by mustangmike3789

Hi Dale!

Using the top-rated primer and paint is a great idea!

When Behr's advertising uses the phrase, "Paint and Primer In One," they are not trying to say their product covers in one coat. Rather, they mean that the paint and primer are combined in one can.

My customers report covering any color in two coats ... ex. from Hunter Green on the wall to Off-White in two coats or from Off-White to Burgandy or Navy Blue in two coats.

As for coverage, you should expect 350 to 400 square feet of coverage per gallon of paint.

Calculate the square feet of wall to be covered by adding the length of all the walls to be painted and multiplying that by the average height of the walls. For example, if your rectangular room has two walls that are fourteen feet long and two walls that are fifteen feet long, you would have fifty-eight feet of wall length. If the average wall is eight feet high, you would multiply eight times fifty-eight for a total of 464 square feet.

In this example, the first gallon would cover approximately one coat and a second gallon would be required to complete the job.

Thanks for the question and best wishes for the New Year!

Posted 2012-01-03T14:29:14+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks MustangMike.

Yes, the sq ft represents floor area.  I had a few drywall patches, but for the most part it was 'pristine' wall.  There also were no textures on the wall.

Posted 2012-01-03T16:11:52+0000  by dalewalt

Thanks for the reply PatInPaint.  

So the total sq feet of wall space is about 320; I think I'll be good on that end.  At this point, I have the walls with two coats of the other brand of paint, and the light-green underneath is still bleeding through a bit.

So I'm definitely going to pick up a gallon of Ultra; but should I use primer first?  (remember, the walls use to be light green, now they have two coats of gold.).  I'm real close to having good coverage... would I be better off priming first, then putting one or two coats of Ultra on, or just put the two coats of Ultra?

Thanks for all of your help.

Posted 2012-01-03T16:16:11+0000  by dalewalt

Thanks very much for your help PatInPaint.  I plan on stopping at my local HD on my lunch hour to pick up the Ultra.

Posted 2012-01-03T16:56:33+0000  by dalewalt

Hey Dale!

Thanks for the approved solution!!!

When you apply your next coat, keep the roller loaded with paint.

When you see the flow onto the wall begin to be more narrow than the roller, go back to the tray and load it again.

You should get outstanding results!

Posted 2012-01-03T17:48:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

As i mentioned earlier" latex over latex usually requires no primer", which means that all latex paints could be considered paint and primer or all in one can. Flat or eggshell paints can work better than certain primers even on new drywall paper and joint compound.The problem is that certain problems require certain primers such as stain blocking, tannin bleed, odor locking or adhearing a top coat to a substraight that normally would not accept the coating on its own such as etching primers for aluminum that create a mechanical and chemical bond and then accept a variety of top coats. "No primer needed" was a marketing strategy used by a paint manufacture over 20 years ago so this self priming is nothing new. Recent advances in paint technology such as "Nanoguard" has helped in improving paints performance for bonding and protection by introducing very small particulate solids into the paint that help it bite deeper into the surface profile.

Posted 2012-01-03T22:40:36+0000  by mustangmike3789

I have a rule of thumb that it is never wrong to prime, but it is often over kill. If you are going over a good quality paint of a lower sheen (flat, eggshell, satin) and there are not patches all over the place, you might consider forgeting the primer.  You prime for one of 4 reasons: 1. adhesion to slick surfaces 2. blocking of stains 3.sealing of very porous surfaces such as new drywall or texture and  4. color change.

If you are merely facilitating color change, you are often better to go around twice with the paint itself. Why is this? Because white paint has the maximun amount of white pigment and it is the white pigment that gives the best blanking of the old color. Primers, because they perform multiple tasks, sacrifice some coverablity in favor of adhesion, stain blocking, etc. The lack of white pigment is the main reason very dark colors often cover very poorly, especially dark, bright colors. The primary colors i.e., red, blue, yellow, actually give poor hiding. It is the
"organic" earthtone colorants, such as lamp black, raw uber, red oxide, etc. which give good coverability. Unfortunately, they not only darken colors, but they also dull that color. As I said, dark bright colors often do not cover well.

Paint making is a series of compromises intended to achieve desirable qualities: sheen, coverage, blocking, etc. Higher quality pigments such as titanium dioxide give better coverage. Higher amounts of titanium generally give better coverage, but it is very hard to spread  a 100% titanium paint!  :)

Other factors increase coverage: Going over a not well sealed wall will actually increase the color coverage because more paint will be sucked in, but it will result in a streaky sheen. Going over a higher gloss will often result in poor coverage because of less paint absorbed and the possibility of brush and roller skid marks on the slick surface.

A dramatic color change most often requires two coats, whether primer and paint or two coats of paint. Changeing to a different color family will lessen the c hance of one coat coverage. It is easier to put a pink over a darker rose than over a darker green. The light reflected back through the coating is of a different color family.

Quality of the roller cover and brush will increase the quality of the finished paint job. Avoid those cheap 6 packs of green rollers at HOme Depot. They will mat down in short order, laying out a thin, uneven coat of paint. A quality roller feels firm. It will not mat down and will pick up a good amount of paint and lay it out evenly on the wall. Qual;ity brushes also improve the paint job. At Home Depot, go directly to the Purdy brushes. They are worth the few extra dollars.

Posted 2012-01-06T04:20:26+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+