Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paint help.

My grandmother wants to paint her extra bedroom but it is done in a forest green and yellow paint scheme. I need help choosing the right primer or paint+primer. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-08T18:20:48+0000  by Red26 Red26

How difficult it is to cover the old color is going to largely be a function of the new color.  It's simply more difficult to cover a darker color with a lighter color but the good news is that it usually either just requires a extra coat of the new paint or a blocking primer.  I believe Behr Marquee has a palette of colors that are guaranteed to cover with just one coat!  I would suggest maybe taking a picture of your room and then going into your Home Depot and talking with one of the paint associates.

Proper prep is the key to every good paint job.  You want to make sure the walls and trim are clean, fill any nail holes or dings with spackle, allow to dry, and sand.  Depending on the condition of the old surface, it's not a bad idea to sand the entire wall.  Use a drywall "screen" just to knock off any old runs or blobs of paint.  After sanding wipe down the wall with a damp rag to pick up the dust.

Do not be temped to go cheap with your equipment.  I've had good luck with Purdy "White Glove" rollers and Purdy brushes.  A "good" paint brush starts at $10 but if properly cared for, will give you many years of service.  I like a 1½" or 2" angled sash brush for my cut-in work.  Real pros will probably use a 2½" brush but I think I get a little better control with a smaller brush and if takes a little longer, so be it.

If you have any other questions, let us know.
Posted 2017-01-09T10:57:37+0000  by Adam444
What would be the best way to prep the walls for the primer. My grandmother told me the when she tried to paint her living room the walls were too oily or dusty which had caused it to not stick. How would I remedy this situation?
Posted 2017-01-10T23:21:54+0000  by Red26

The most common method is to wash the walls with TSP washing powder. This will remove any oils or dirt, and also helps dull the surface. You must, however, rinse the walls well after  using TSP.

If you are sung a dedicated primer, have the paint store tint the primer close to your finish color. This will greatly aid in blocking out the old color and enhance the finish color. This is also a good idea if your finish color is a strong color, because if you prime the walls pure white, you might have difficulty covering the white in only one coat.

With Behr's  100% acrylic  based line of wall paints, Premium Plus, or Premium Plus Ultra , you do have the option of merely going around twice with the "paint in primer in one" Behr paint. Or, as Adam suggests, use the guaranteed one coat Marquee line.
Posted 2017-01-12T07:56:32+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+