Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Paint over concrete pavers

Hi experts,

I have over 15 rectangular concrete pavers in my house. A few of them got grease and oil on them and some others have uneven colors. I'd like to paint over all of them to get a clean & even look.

Do I need to remove the grease and etch the concerte before applying the paint or is there a paint product  that doesn't require these prep. stages?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-11T04:12:27+0000  by lazy_DIYer lazy_DIYer

Welcome back lazy_diyer!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

Using a degreaser, as opposed to an etcher, would be the best in removing the grease and oil. Any product that says degreaser will work for your project. Simply spray on the degreaser, and scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Read the instructions on the back of the product that you purchase to see how long you need to let it sit before you start scrubbing, typically it is just a minute or two.

When you are done, you will notice that those look a lot cleaner than the others; this doesn't matter since you are painting them. The same goes for the pavers that are a different color.

I don’t know if you have decided what kind of paint to use, but I wanted to give you my recommendation. Using 1-part epoxy paint will be the most durable and stick very well to the pavers. The 1-part epoxy that we sell in our stores comes in a variety of colors.

Good luck with your project! Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Happy Painting!

Christine :)  

Posted 2013-03-11T13:33:24+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I appreciate your advice Christine!

Posted 2013-03-12T04:50:53+0000  by lazy_DIYer

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+