Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Paint over laminate glue?

Hello! My husband and I recently purchased a house.  The kitchen has laminate countertops and backsplash.  The laminate goes down the entire wall behind the refrigerator as well.  We would like to either paint in the backsplash or put a tile backsplash.  I had originally considered painting over the laminate.  However, my husband decided to start taking it off completely (starting with the large portion behind the refrigerator). What is left now is a black, tar like glue (that also smells very bad!).  Any ideas on how to go from here? Id like to paint that portion of the wall since its a large part and tile the backsplash.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Thanks in advance!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-28T12:44:38+0000  by JAlex910 JAlex910

What a great project JAlex!

This is likely one of the most common remodels homeowners consider ... one that will make a great difference in the appearance and function of your kitchen.

Consider going ahead and removing the remaining laminate.

This will give you access to the sheetrock as well as the electrical boxes ... then you are only a few short steps from installing under-cabinet lighting.

This addition will show off your new backsplash as well as put more light into your workspace.

As for the black, tar like glue, the odor may be solvent still releasing from this surface. I would try moving warm air across that surface in an attempt to dry the solvent before covering the whole area with an oil-based primer.

You may have to apply two coats of primer, several hours apart, to seal that surface.

Once sealed and dry, you can move forward with paint behind the refrigerator and mastic w/tile on the backsplash.

I have done this project several times and the end result is a kitchen that is much more functional and WOWs your guests ... a great place to entertain while you prepare a meal.

I can't wait to see your new backsplash!

When the project is complete, post a photo and share your expertise with the Community.

Posted 2011-06-28T13:24:54+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks so much for your reply!

Do I need to sand the glue before priming? I feel like it will look bumpy.  Also, is there a specific oil based primer that i should use? I recently bought a 5 gallon of the Kilz primer for the kitchen and the rest of the house but believe that is latex based.  I guess I can't use that? Thanks!

Posted 2011-06-28T13:43:21+0000  by JAlex910

Removing mastic is not a perfect science. Here are three approaches:

1) Sanding with a 100-grit or 150-grit sandpaper may help remove the lumps (or may actually cause the residue to lump up more).

If you choose to sand, be cautious in the areas where you want to apply paint not to create a secondary repair by using too coarse a paper (which may tear up the sheetrock).

2) There are also strippers for mastic, like Klean Strip Adhesive Remover.

KlnStrpAdhRmvr.jpg

These products "rewet" the mastic and allow you to scrap off the gummy residue ... it may also leave an oily residue on your sheetrock.

3) Resolve that you are going to tear the sheetrock while using a putty knife to scrape off the mastic ... knowing that you are going to prime the damaged area and then skim-coat with mud (wallboard joint compound) to repair the damage.

In all three cases, the final step will be to prime with an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain.

CvrStn.jpg

The oil primer will seal the residue from the solvent-based products ... your water-based primer is not as effective at sealing oily residue, but should be useful on many other projects around the home.

FYI - the oil-based primer will accept any topcoat (water-based or oil-based paints).

Posted 2011-06-28T14:12:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

The glue can't be sanded, it will need to be removed. This can be done with mineral spirits. This is fairly labor intensive, smelly and messy; depending on the area size it may be better to remove and replace the drywall. Oil base Kilz is an excellent product and will cover the staining after the glue removal.

Posted 2011-06-28T14:27:50+0000  by M-G

Excellent Suggestion M-G!

Remove the drywall covered by the mastic.

This actually gives you the access we discussed earlier to install under-cabinet lighting.

In turn, the new lighting will really show off that new backsplash and improve the lighting in your workspace.

JAlex,

If you would like to pursue this option, please reply and we'll develop step-by-step instruction to help.

Posted 2011-06-28T15:13:18+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+