Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paint peeling off interior brick- how to address this?

I have white paint peeling off the bricks of my studio, and I want to scrape off the parts that are peeling and repaint them, but I don't know how to go about doing this, or what tools/products to use. It looks like the paint that's peeling off is revealing the original brick, so it wasn't adhering well in the first place.

This is just to cover up the gross old stuff, so I'm not looking to go through and chemically strip everything or start from scratch, and we don't own this space, so I don't want to invest a ton of time, energy, or money in getting professionals out here.

Should I just scrape off the nasty parts, clean and prime that (with regular primer?) and then paint over it with brick paint? I'm sure I'll have to paint everything to match the color (it's just white, though) at some point, but for the moment, I just want to get the peeling parts touched up. Am I looking at the right method to do this? Thanks in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-21T16:59:13+0000  by sebastions1 sebastions1

Hello sebastions1 and welcome to the Community.

I think the best way to remove the peeling paint is with a wire brush.  Then go ahead and prime it to have a good surface for the top coat of paint.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2017-09-21T18:55:59+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi Sebasions1,

Another method which will require a lot less labor is to use a citrus based paint remover such as Ready-Strip Safer Paint Remover. It is safe and easy to use and will be move effective than just using a wire brush. Steel wire brushes will sometimes leave black carbon makes on the brick which will be difficult to cover up.

Ready-Strip 32-oz. Environmentally Friendly Paint Removeru

Being citrus based it is non toxic and has a pleasant sent, it will remove up to 3 layers of paint in one application. Brush it on let it set for 15 to 30 minutes and scrape off the paint. Lay down paper or a drop cloth to keep the paint off the floor. When your finished clean the surface with a  household cleaner and let it dry thoroughly before painting.

A primer will improve the results and help prevent the necessity of a second coat of paint.

Mike

Posted 2017-09-22T01:27:24+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+