Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paint sheen

How To Choose The Right Paint Sheen

I am looking to find a sheen that is durable, washable, and can be used on walls where the drywall finishing is not the greatest. I am afraid if I use a semi gloss, all the drywall imperfections will show. A flat will not let me was too much. How much different is the sheen between egg shell and semi gloss?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-22T20:18:03+0000  by lobo1966 lobo1966

Lobo,

I would suggest you try either the Behr Flat Enamel or Eggshell finishes. The Flat Enamel has a very slight sheen. It is very washable and scuff resistant. The Eggshell will look flat if viewed direct on, but have the sheen of an eggshell if viewed from an angle with reflected light. It has even more washablilty and scuff resistance.

In general, paints have more washability and scuff resistance as the sheen increases, but they are less forgiving of imperfections in the walls. It is kind of a trade off. I personally use eggshell most often as I dislike high sheen on my walls.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-02-22T20:36:32+0000  by ordjen

Hey there lobo1966,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Sounds like you've done your homework on the paint sheens, so kudos to you!

You're correct in that a flat will hide wall imperfections better than a semi-gloss paint would, but when you get into washability and scrubbablity, then that's where it flips on you.

All the paint sheens are washable from the flat to the high gloss, but you'll want to err away from a matte finish flat if you're going to be scrubbing your walls. In order to still give the appearance of flat but with a scrubbable surface, Behr makes a Flat Enamel sheen that will be right up your alley. 

In asking about the difference between eggshell and semi-gloss as far as sheen, there is definitely a noticeable difference. Eggshell has a very slight sheen to it that's really only noticeable at certain angles, so it;s very subtle. There is an actual sheen between the two of them called Satin which may work as well. It is definitely scrubbable and washable, but won't hide your imperfections as well.

Overall, I think you'll be best with the Flat Enamel or Eggshell if you'd like a bit of a higher sheen. Be sure to stop by your local store's paint department so you can see the sheen difference with your own eyes!~ = )

Edit: Seems ordjen beat me to it, but even better we concur on this! Thanks for your input!~ = )

Posted 2013-02-22T20:42:12+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Now that you know how to select paint sheen ...

Here's a one-minute "How To" video that will help you select paint applicators.

Click the link.

Posted 2014-12-02T19:36:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hi lobo!

Since you originally asked your question, we produced this video quick tip:

Click the link for the discussion and one-minute quick tip video.
Posted 2014-12-30T16:29:38+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+