Sign In to join the community | Help

Paint tips

I am painting with a Graco Magnum X5 using a 517 tip. I am spraying Glidden 9000 "Shell White" flat. I used the PVA primer underneath (which worked out quite well).


I am getting "stripes" in the finish. Basically it looks like the walls were striped. I am pretty much a novice, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I will insert pictures when I get them.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-09T15:26:12+0000  by fapel fapel

Here are the pictures

Posted 2013-03-09T15:45:58+0000  by fapel




The Graco X5 should not support a tip as large as 517., its limit is a .015 (15 being the size of the opening in thousandths of an inch). I suggest you buy a 515 tip. When testing  the .515 spray on a piece of cardboard, turn the spray down to its lowest pressure. Ideally, you want to spray at the lowest pressure that will give you a good spray pattern. A good pattern for a 515 tip will be about 10 inches long with an even distribution of paint from top to bottom.; If the paint is heavier at the top and bottom of the pattern, increase the pressure slowly until an even spray pattern is achieved. Do not over pressurize the paint. This only over atomizes the paint causing excessive overspray and  wasting paint.


It is possible that the Glidden flat may be a little too thick for the X5 with the 515 tip. Since you should  not increase the size of the tip, you may thin the paint slightly. Most acrylic paints can be thinned with at least a 8 ounces of water per gallon.


Hope this aleviates the problem.

Posted 2013-03-10T07:31:04+0000  by ordjen

   I agree with Ordjen - in that your spray tip size (517) is too large for the job of painting walls.  A 515 or 415 size is more manageable.  As for the "stripes" appearing on the wall - most of the time that is caused by having too low of a pressure and too large of a tip.  The paint piles up at the edges and where it overlaps.


Some professional painters will have a partner with them that rolls out the walls immediately after the spray is applied.  It's called "back rolling" and will help add a little bit of texture to the wall.

Posted 2013-03-10T15:23:51+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question