Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Paint vinyl shutters

My vinyl shutters are 20 years old & need painting.

Where do I start? Do I need to use a special paint on them? Is primer neccessary?

Thank you,

Grannysbaby

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-29T08:55:51+0000  by grannysbaby grannysbaby

Granniesbaby,

Vinyl shutters may be painted with a good quality 100% acrylic paint such Behr's Premium Plus or Premium Plus Ultra without a dedicated primer. As always with painting, you want a clean surface. To assure great adhesion, it is a good idea to scuff sand the surface with fine sandpaper.

One concern when painting plastics is the color choice. Plastics can expand greatly when heated. To this extent, it is a good idea to not paint the shutters darker than the factory color. If you darken the surface, the shutters get much hotter when in the sunshine. If the fastening system does not allow for that expansion, they could warp outward.

Hope this has helped

Best Answer

Posted 2013-04-29T13:21:40+0000  by ordjen

Hello:smileyhappy: Welcome to the community.

I am so happy to walk you through the process of transforming your shutters to new again.

Step 1:

One of the very first things to do is to wash the shutters clean and remove any mildew that might be growing on them.  You can use a pressure washer if you have one, or a pump up garden sprayer.  Clean them by either applying a detergent/bleach mixture orJOMAX house cleaner. Rinse with water and let them completely dry before moving on.

*to remove or not to remove - that is the question...With 20 year old vinyl shutters you may want to leave them attached to the surface. Trying to remove them may only cause the plastic screws to break off and then you will have to deal with all the complications with re-installing them in a new position.

Step 2:

Lightly sand the surface (especially if they have become faded and chalky).

Step 3:

Paint the first coat of the new color using the BEHR ULTRA in semi-gloss.  Remember, don't paint in the direct sunlight or while rain is in the near forecast.  Darker colors will need more time to cure before applying an additional coat.1-Gal. Ultra Pure White Semi-Gloss Enamel Exterior

Posted 2013-04-29T13:32:56+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thank you so much, for all the great info for painting my vinyl shutters. I'm so looking forward to seeing the results.

Sincerely,

Grannysbaby

Posted 2013-04-29T15:39:28+0000  by grannysbaby

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+