Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paint vs stain

Can I put solid stain over paint?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-06T20:32:28+0000  by p3d p3d

p3d,

You can put a solid hide acrylic stain over an acyylic / latex paint of a flat or satin sheen. You would probably not have problems putting it over a low sheen oil paint either.

Just curious as to what the scenario is with which you are dealing?

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-09-06T22:32:43+0000  by ordjen

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

In general terms, no, you cannot put a stain over a painted surface if you are just doing a regular cabinet restoration, unless you are planning on doing some type of a custom finish in your restoration plans.  In this case you can use a product called “RUST-OLEUM Transformations"

Rust-OLEUM Transformations.jpg

Your best course of action if you are planning this type of restoration will be to go into your local Home Depot Store and visit the Paint Department.  They will be able to show you the proper application of this product.

Checkout this cool video from RUST-OLEUM.

Be sure to take a video of your project and share it with the rest of the community in our Project Library under "I Did This".

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-09-06T22:49:50+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

The trim on a new enclosed, outside deck is painted and I accidentally bought a colored solid stain to change the color. Hoping I can use it rather than waste a $50 gallon of stain. Thanks for any help on this.

Posted 2013-09-07T01:32:29+0000  by p3d

p3d,

My assumption was that you were talking about exterior, probably deck, surfaces. My advice stands.

Further, in years gone by, I used to use a \the stains of a well known stain manufacturer which made its stains in both oil and acrylic versions. For years, I would use the oil stain as the primer for the acrylic stain on dried, weathered siding. This neccessitated that I leave about a weeks drying time between coats, as the oil version contained some linseed oil and was slow to fully dry. The acrylic then flowed like melted butter over the oil stain. The arcylic had the advcantage of being more color fast.

As my customers were mostly longtime I got to see the results over the years and never had a problem.

Good Luck

Posted 2013-09-07T01:49:34+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+