Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Paintable Wallpaper is the new fix!

We've all seen the great things that we can get done with paint these days; from faux finishes to textures or just a good ol' satin sheen on the wall. But sometimes our walls aren't always picture perfect, or in the best shape--so what then?

Well, one solution that I personally find pretty nifty, is a new type of wallpaper that we're carrying, a paintable wallpaper! Now, before you jump to the conclusion that it's any old wallpaper and is as dated as could be, hear me out. :smileyhappy:

This wallpaper, or wallcovering as we can call it, really goes that extra step. It will help you to cover up the following:

• old drywall that has a few dings or holes, with slight cracks in it
  • old peg-board that needs a bit of an overhaul
  • cinder-block walls with small cracks
  • or even existing wallpaper that has just got to go!

They come in different textures and designs to help you get the look you're going for--and the best part...you can paint over them with the paint you already have! Any interior based paint will work just fine over these (I recommend a latex base for best cover) and you can have it in any sheen you want! Here is a quick demo of just how easy it rolls on for you.

The rolls are pre-pasted just like wallpaper would be, so follow the same steps you would by using water to activate the glue. Also, make sure to prime the wall with the appropriate type primer as well. To help you get the right amount, the packaging includes a simple formula to help you measure your room.

[ Length x Width ] divided by [ 50 ] = # of rolls needed to cover.

Availability varies by store, so stop by your local Home Depot paint or decor department for more details or check out our full selection of paintable wallpaper online.

Feel free to shoot me your questions..I'm more than happy to hear you out!

Let me know~

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-28T19:06:29+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI Jay_HD_CHI

From user TMCLAUGHLIN :

I need to remodel an old farm house where the wall were finished with 3/8" plywood.  I am looking for an easy covering and was thinking that maybe the paintable wallpaper would be the ticket.  Question: I am concerned about wood movement causing the wall paper to tear/buckle with the change of the seasons.  Just how durable is this paper and will it "move" with the walls?   The walls are solid and tight and would be a good backing as long as the paper can take some movement.

looking for solutions.  the guy that originally remodeled did a good job but now what do I do with the walls and ceiling so that they can be finished.

Hey there TMCLAUGHLIN,

Thanks for the question.

I've used this particular paper before on top of wood panel board and the adhesive worked quite well on it. If we're talking normal settling movement and such where actual movements are minimal at best, then the paper should hold up just fine. However do remember that it's still a paper product and that when it's glued on, it's relatively taut. I'm not sure of the area in which you're living or how much sun exposure the farm house will get, but as long as you don't have severe movement normally then I think you'll be just fine by it.

If you have any further questions on it though, feel free to let us know!~ = )

Posted 2012-06-29T16:33:46+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Most interesting...I did not know that : o

Thanks for sharing a bit about the history of this, ordjen. I'd love to hear more about the paintable tin that your brother used, I know that we have a product similar to it, with the Fasade PVC Ceiling Tile, but I haven't attempted to paint one of these before. What product did he use by chance?

Thanks again for sharing with us = )

Posted 2012-01-06T14:15:50+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hey there SoonerGirl58,

Sorry to hear about the problem with the wallpaper : /

I am glad to hear that the paste worked out well for you. I found that scuffing up the paneling a bit prior to installation helped a bit when I was building the display I mentioned before. Gave it just that extra bit of adhesion that it needed.

I never had any problems with the seams showing in the displays that I've done with the product, and the textures themselves are pretty resilient, so don't worry about flattening them. What I used for the seams was a light foam roller, which gave me the ability to add pressure where I needed but also go over with a soft touch so that I don't press the paste too much. It worked out well for me. You can use a generic seam roller though, that will just add more pressure to it.

If you need, add a bit of extra paste just under the seams and roll over it to make sure it grabs on to the adhesive, and then let it dry. Just make sure it doesn't push any to the surface, because you'll see it once you start to paint.

Hope that helps!~ Best of luck with the project and keep us informed on how it goes =D

Posted 2011-12-02T14:57:14+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hey community,

I got a question from one of our users about the paintable wallpaper the other day. I thought it would be some useful information to share with the rest of you, so I'm going to post up the question and my response here. That way perhaps if in the future someone has the same question, they know just where to go!~ = )

I got pre-pasted vinyl coated paintable wallpaper.  The plan is to put it over a skim-coated horse-hair plaster wall.  I primed the wall (Kilz2) and am now ready to hang the paper.  I know I need to wait a few days before painting it, but I was wondering....do I need to prime the wallpaper before adding my paint color of choice? 

I'm thining of doing a deep maroon/red...so if I need to prime the wallpaper, do I need a tinted primer, or can I take the rest of the kilz back to the store and have them at tint to it?  I did to a test run with scraps of the wallpaper, one primed then painted, one just painted, and I can't tell the different (except that the raised pattern isn't as raised in the primed version).  But I don't know if it would start peeling off later without the primer.  This is for a stairway wall- if that matters.

Thanks for the question = )

When the paintable wallpaper originally came out in our stores, I built our display using a bright green color. At the time, I too was curious of how it would cover and whether I would need to go over it a few times or prime it and start again. I ended up only rolling on one coat and I was surprisingly impressed with the coverage of the color. Now I did choose to leave a bit of the area white to give it the faux finish look, but the areas that were color turned out great.

I went back later on and used the primer just as a "curiosity thing." I found that when I applied the primer, the color came out looking great, but not a huge difference. What I did notice however, and I think you may have as well, was that the depressions from the texture filled with primer before the paint went on. I found that by using the two coats that I did, the raised textures were less prevalent and I personally feel as if it effected the look of the wallpaper. I just didn't like how it turned out by doing it that way.

I would suggest either painting it on with two coats (you shouldn't need any more than that) or using a Paint & Primer combo, like the Behr Ultra. That way you get the coverage of two coats in only 1.

Posted 2011-11-17T17:42:20+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+