Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Painted drawers stick

Hi.

I recently painted a hutch and the drawers are now sticking when I open or close them.  How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-15T15:52:47+0000  by debbiev debbiev

debbiev,

I am going to make an assumption that you used an acrylic / latex paint on your dresser. Unfortunately, these paints have a gummy, sticky quality to them and is one of the reasons I dislike them on furniture. But this is now water under the bridge.

Home Depot has small, clear  plastic, self-stick  bumpers in the hardware department. If you place one of these at every corner where the contact is made between drawer and frame, this should largely eliminate the problem. The sticking problem is mostly where paint meets paint. If you keep them slightly apart with the bumpers, the problem will be minimal.

If you painted the wood on wood drawer glides ( if that is how they slide), try putting a little talcum powder on the gliding surfaces.

Hope this has helped

Best Answer

Posted 2013-08-15T16:02:31+0000  by ordjen

Thank you for the quick reply!  Both are great solutions.  However, I also found my own solution.  I peeled a tea light out of it's metal wrapping and rubbed the wax along the sides and bottoms of the drawers and the edges of the cabinet.  Voila!  They open and close as smooth as silk.

Posted 2013-08-15T16:19:05+0000  by debbiev

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+