Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting 2 walls different colors

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a special tool or technique for painting the corner of 2 walls when you have a different color on each wall. One wall is purlple and the other is lime green and I'm ahving a hard time keeping the corner straight. Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-03T15:31:00+0000  by rcripe rcripe

Welcome to the community. Have no fear ThePaintAvenger is here. The only technique that I can come up with is using 3M advanced delicate surface tape. You will place the tape on where the wall and corner meet.

Choose the versatile, easy-to-use ScotchBlue 1.88 in. x 60 yd. Painter's Tape for Delicate Surfaces for delicate surfaces that you don't want to damage. It produces sharp, clean professional paint lines and removes cleanly.

• Use on most dry-to-the-touch paints (24 hours old), vinyl-coated wallpaper, primed wallboard, wood floors and faux finishes
  • Low to medium adhesion level
  • Remove in up to 60 days
  • For interior or exterior use in temperatures between 50 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit
  • UV and sunlight resistant

Example:

From left to right:

Left picture would be your bare wall.

Middle picture would be taped off where the wall and corner meet.

Last picture would be one side painted with the purple color you would choose.

walls.png

Now when removing the tape you can remove it after its dry at a 45 degree angle not straight down, you can risk the paint from coming off the wall. Preferably it would be good to wait 60 days before peeling the tape.

Once one side is painted you don’t have worry about the dry time on the wall where you previously taped off. Simply remove the tape and apply the 3m delicate surface tape on the purple wall where the wall and the corner meet now you’re ready to paint the wall lime green.

• Here are two tools that are quite handy for this project Ergonomic handle reduces fatigue
  • Swivel handle attaches to all standards poles Eliminates Taping - save, money and time Ergonomic
  • Quick retractable guiding wheels paint smooth straight lines around molding and trim

Shur-Line Pro Paint Edger

The Shur-Line Edge Like  A Pro Paint Edger is perfect for edging walls, ceilings, windows and baseboards. It has a retractable guide for mess-free paint loading and a quick-eject pad release button. It eliminates the need for edging tape and is threaded for pole attachment.

• Ergonomic handle reduces fatigue
  • Swivel handle attaches to all standards poles Eliminates Taping - save, money and time Ergonomic
  • Quick retractable guiding wheels paint smooth straight lines around molding and trim

Purdy XL Glide 2-1/2 in. Angled Sash Brush

The Purdy XL Glide 2-1/2 in. Angled Sash Brush is an excellent choice for your indoor and outdoor painting needs. For use with all types of paints and ideal for trim, touch-ups and medium-sized projects, this brush is designed for maximum paint lift and smooth no-drag application.

• Wooden handle
  • Nylon and polyester blend can be used with all types of paint
  • 2-1/2 in. brush for trim, touch-ups and medium-sized projects
  • Angled design for neatly painting trim and baseboards

walls 2.JPG

walls 3.JPG

End Result Should Look Like This

Good luck with this project send us some pictures here at the community we would like to see the end result.

Posted 2012-10-04T14:41:34+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

I'm hopeful that you can explain the logic behind waiting 60 days before removing the tape?? Thanks.

Posted 2012-12-31T17:21:17+0000  by sunny_jeni

Sunny-jeni,

I would like to hear the explanation for that statement too. Whereas the tape may be left on for up to 60 days, the sooner it comes off the better, in my opinion. Acrylic paints form an elastic skin when dried. If the paint is allowed to dry spanning over the edge of the tape onto the wall,  one risks having the edge form jagged tears in the paint film. If the tape is removed before the paint has dried, it cannot tear.

Similarly, when painting walls where the baseboards have been taped, it is also a good idea to immediately pull the tape as soon as the walls have been painted. Again, no tears can occur in the still wet paint. Further, should a little paint have leaked under the tape, it can be easily cleaned up when it is still wet. a dampened piece of t-shirt fabric pulled tightly over the blade of a putty knife can be zipped along the top of the basebaord to removed the leaked under paint cleanly. 

Posted 2013-01-02T07:24:20+0000  by ordjen

Thanks Ordjen, that's my experience too. I would much prefer to wipe up leaked paint prior to it drying, and have noticed much cleaner lines when I remove the tape shortly after finishing each wall.

Posted 2013-01-02T18:19:33+0000  by sunny_jeni

Sunny-jeni,

There is another trick to getting clean edges when taping, that is to seal the edge with a clear acrylic resin. I commonly recommend that customers buy a sample size of Behr Deep Base paint. The Deep Base has absolutely no color in it and dries clear, although it is milky when going on. If anything goes under the tape, it is clear and does not show. This seals the edge so that when the pigmented paint is put over it, it cannot leak under.

If you are making stripes or designs on a wall, you can also seal the edge of the tape with the base color of the wall. When dry, you then paint the stripe color over it.

Again, I like to pull the tape as soon as possible, and before the paint has completely dried and formed its elastic skin.

If I know that multiple coats are going to be neccessary, I will cut in very close to the tape on the first coat, and then brush and roll over it on the final coat. Once again, pulling the tape as soon as possible.

Hope that my explanation has been clear and helped.

Posted 2013-01-02T20:32:15+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+