Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting A Mural Inside The Bug Bus

One of my customers, Emily, came to The Paint Pit recently asking for help selecting colors to paint a mural inside the "Bug Bus" (VW Van). She was kind enough to forward step-by-step photos and a description of her project.

According to Emily: 

"The painting took about 3 days because I painted for about 4-5 hours per day. I started with sanding off the mold etc. from the ceiling and then painted it white to cover the brownish color. Next I did the sky and stars and worked my way to the detail on the sun and moon. I should probably finish it off with a polyurethane layer to protect it effectively but will get to that later at some point. Thank you Pat for helping me pick colors and sand paper for this task."

Emily, this is what I love most about The Paint Pit ... I encounter so many creative individuals who have outstanding ideas.

Being around people with that much creative energy is inspiring!

I should thank you for allowing me to play a small role in your success. Thanks for sharing!

Here are Emily's step-by-step photos:

Original Interior.jpg Original Clean Ceiling Painted White.jpg White Base

Hand-Drawn Sketch of Image.jpg Hand-Drawn Blue Field With Gold Stars.jpg Blue w/ Stars

The Sun and Moon.jpg Sun and Moon Complete and Ready to Show.jpg Finished

The Transformed Bug Bus.jpg The Transformed Bug Bus

Step-By-Step.jpg Step-By-Step

WOW Emily!!! You're truly an artist!

From concept to completion ... you definitely have an artist's imagination, an eye for colors, and the ability to bring your ideas to life using a pencil and a brush.

Thanks for sharing your Bug Bus with The Community!

NOTE: Emily used Behr Exterior Ultra to paint her mural.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-31T12:09:26+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Pat, this was an awesome post. Takes me back to days in the 1960's. I love murals, and especially in a VW bug. What memories. Thanks to Emily for sharing the pictures. Very creative.

Posted 2012-06-07T19:35:56+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Yes Ken, she is very creative ... and it does bring back memories as well as current-time inspiration!

Beyond how creative her project was, the production trick was capturing the correct lines of her images across a non-uniform surface. If you look closely at the images, they fold across the strength bands built into the fiberglass top.

I also think many people have creative inspiration for projects like this ... but not nearly enough of us "let go" of our fear of failing and put our inspirations into action. Emily is an artist because she has those inspired moments and she "lets go" to actually create the images she imagines.

Very nice Emily!!! Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks for the comment Ken.

NOTE: In an earlier thread, we discussed "Outside The Box" solutions (application of non-traditional products to solve problems). If you enjoyed Emily's creative craft, you might enjoy reading that thread as well.

Posted 2012-06-12T13:04:02+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+