Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting Brick

Hi,

We would like to paint our fireplace.  What steps should we take in preparation and are there any techniques we should know while we're painting the brick?  Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-27T14:04:43+0000  by groundchuck groundchuck

Hi there groundchuck!

Welcome to our community and thanks for your question!

Painting over brick isn't all that much different from going on regular drywall...it's just a bit more time consuming do to the fact that you have all those little nooks to fill. But nothing I'm sure you couldn't handle =)

First off is to make sure that the surface is clean and ready to go for the painting project. I would recommend cleaning using TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) to both clean and de-grease. This is great because sometimes the interior brick gets soot and smoke stained. I commonly use it in a 4:1 mixture of hot water to TSP. Scrub the brick down really good and then wash it down with a second pass over of regular hot water. Let that dry out overnight as the brick needs time to dry.

I would also make sure that you prime the brick as well. For priming you can use the Behr Ultra paint that we sell in our stores which combines the primer and paint in one. Or if you had a different color picked out, you can opt to use a masonry sealer such as the one pictured below. Again, make sure this drys adequately before you start painting over it.

As far as techniques for getting the paint to apply properly, it all depends on how rough the brick is. The rougher the surface, the more nap on your roller you will need. For brick jobs, I would recommend going with a 1/2" nap roller. This will give you a bit more pick up on your paint, and allow you to cover the mortar joints better.

I would also work in sections, like a 4x4 for instance, and get a rhythm for rolling and then brushing. You're going to need to do a few passes over your roll job with the brush to make sure that the mortar lines are filled in properly, but it won't take you too long =) Working from top to bottom also will help make sure you don't accidentally lean against the new paint either. Let this cure for around 3 days before your use your fireplace if possible, that way the paint can fully dry and cure.

I'd recommend going with a slightly more muted finish like an Eggshell or at the most a Satin. The higher sheens tend to show off more bumps and ridges, and that might make the new brick wall look very, very busy.

And for transparency, this is just for doing the facing of the bricks. We don't want you climbing into your fireplace trying to paint =D

Posted 2011-07-28T15:22:23+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+