Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting Help

I just moved into a new house, and my bedroom walls are a nightmare. The paint currently on them is sticky and easily peels off, which I'm told generally means it didn't dry correctly.

This paint was put on top of wall paper.

Which was put on top of faux wood paneling.

So, is there any kind of magical primer or paint remover that will allow me to paint over the walls, without taking the paper off and starting from the wood again? Scraping it off seems dangerous with the wall paper right underneath, and I don't own a sander, doing so by hand proved far too long of a process.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-19T17:19:22+0000  by mpl17 mpl17

Welcome to our community mpl17 and congrats on your new home! 

My name is Christine and I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your walls. :smileysad: But, not to worry, I'm here to help and I know exactly what will work for you. :smileyhappy:

First and foremost, you will need to make sure that any paint that is peeling off is removed. Since your paint is already doing that, this step shouldn't be too taxing. :smileywink:

As long as the wallpaper is still intact, meaning it isn't coming up or bubbling, you can paint on top of it. If you have seams or corners that are coming up, you should use seam glue to glue it back down again. Before you paint, you must use an oil- based primer. Oil- based is the only primer that will work because latex based will reactivate the wallpaper glue and it will peel off. After the oil- based primer dries, you can paint on top of it with latex or oil- based paint.

I hope that helped you out. Let us know if we can help with anything else!

Christine  :smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-10-19T17:45:22+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+