Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting My Dresser and Desk

Hello, Im redoing my room and since I do not have a lot of money to buy a new dresser and desk I was thinking about painting over the white with a nice light green color. So I was wondering if I should use a spray paint or the other kind????

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-09T21:27:55+0000  by Lexie10269 Lexie10269

Hi Lexie10269,

Spray paint will give you the smoothest factory like finish, however it will be a very thin coat and will scratch easily. In addition you will need quite a few cans to do the job right.

I might suggest Behr Premium Plus Ultra Simi-Gloss Interior Enamel. This product is paint and primer in one. It will cover is one coat.

Apply it with a good quality brush such as a Purdy XL. Glide 2inch sash brush.

Remember to sand or degloss the surface before you start so the new finish will adhere to the existing paint. Remove any knobs and handles and work in a dust free area.

Here’s a tip I learned from an experienced painter, dip your brush in water before starting to paint (only when using latex paint) the paint will go on smoother and level better thanks to the water in the brush and the brush will be easier to clean when you’re done.

Good Luck with your project.

Mike,

Posted 2012-07-09T23:18:56+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Thanks, But does the paint that you suggesd does that come in diffrent colors????

Posted 2012-07-10T00:46:04+0000  by Lexie10269

Thanks, But does the paint that you suggesd does that come in diffrent colors????
Posted 2012-07-10T00:47:11+0000  by Lexie10269

Lexie,

I continue to be an advocate for the use of oil paints on furniture, rather than acrylic/latex paints. Oils dry to a much harder, non-gummy finish than acrylics. This is especially important where items will be placed on the surface or where surfaces slide upon on another. The gummy nature causes items to want to stick to the surface. Where surfaces make contact, they will want to stick. This characteristic of acrylic paints is worse when it is humid.

On smaller pieces, I encourage the use of spray cans, assuming the right color is available. Spray cans are price competitive with brushing paint. For example, 2 cans of spray primer and 2 cans of spray paint will cost less than a quart of premium acrylic paint such as Ultra.

When done properly, spray cans can leave a finish which a brushing paint cannot achieve.

One trick I advise when using spray paint is to heat the can for several minutes in hot water from the hot water tap. This will increase the pressure in the can, improving the spray pattern. Also, oil paints become more viscous and flow out better when warm. An old painters trick to thin oil paint, without really thinning it, was to heat the paint in hot water. Warm oil paint brushes out like melted butter!

When spraying, make long, straight overlapping strokes. The paint must flow together to avoid the stripey look.The use of a primer will not only help the paint cover and adhere better, but allow the paint to be sprayed on verticle surfaces with less chance of runs and sags.

One further trick to avoid runs on verticle surfaces is to first apply a quick, very thin coat of spray. Let this coat set and get tacky for a minute, then follw up with a full flowing coat. The tacky coat will grab the flowing coat and keep it from sagging.

Hope this is helpful.

Posted 2012-07-10T06:30:35+0000  by ordjen

Lexie10269,

Hello there. My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot. 

The Behr Ultra paint that HDAnswerman suggested comes in any color that you can imagine. So, if you decide to go the latex based route, no worries there. :smileyhappy: 

If you decided to go with oil- based, you have a few options. Rust-Oleum has a line of oil- based brush on paint that comes pre-mixed in a variety of colors and finishes. They also have an even bigger line of spray paints. Behr has a semi-gloss oil based paint that can be tinted. Lastly, Glidden Trim and Door is a gel paint that can be used on furniture as well. It has a high-gloss finish and comes in 7 colors. Check your local store for availability. 

Let us know how everything turns out! 

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2012-07-11T14:14:17+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to me, not all HD stores have tintable oil paints. My local HD store did away with the Glidden line of oil paint about two years ago. It only had a minimal present even then, with only quarts available in a full line of tint bases.

I understand that many areas of the country, such as California, are really clamping down on high VOC paints, but where it is still allowed, it should still be carried, in my less than humble opinion. Further, many professional painters still use oil paints. These painters have no choice but to go to the competitive paint stores which cater to them. It has always seemed foolish to me to surrender these potential customers to the competition!

Posted 2012-07-11T19:13:31+0000  by ordjen

Hi Lexie,

Sorry I didn't mention the color choices for the Behr paint, as Christine mentioned they are almost unlimited.

Oil based paint would be the best choice for furniture, however the quality of oil based paint has been compromised by federal and state regulations controlling voc's.

Our selection of oil based paint colors is limited, and demand for it falls each year as the quality of latex paint improves.

This is the primary reason I did not recommend oil based paint.

I still feel spray paint falls short in terms of durability, and using it requires very careful application to avoid runs.

The odor and overspray can also be be a problem if painting indoors.

I hope this answers your question

Mike,

Posted 2012-07-12T17:25:40+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Alas, tis true that the working qualities of oil paints have been somewhat degraded even as the VOC's have been lessened. The good news is that a little Penetrol and a little mineral spirits largely restore those admirable qualities. If you don't want to add such liquids, try heating your oil paint in hot water. It becomes "loose as a goose" when warm, flowing and leveling itself out.

The use of spray cans, or spraying in general, does require that you be able to isolate the odor and overspray. Most people would simply remove the piece being worked on to the garage, if possible.

As to spray can durablilty, it depends how you define the term. The hard, glossy surface of Rustoleum white presents a very washable, non-sticky surface.  The "Professional" line of Rustoleum spray cans are even more durable. I find it easier to use as it dries slower, leveling itself to a very hard, durable surface.

As always, I prefer to heat my spray cans in the hottest water from the tap ( about 125 degrees) for several minutes. This increases the internal pressure and hence the quality of the spray pattern.  Being oil based, the paint fows and levels itself better. This is nothing new. Professional spray equipment in the past has often utilized in line paint heaters to heat the paint shortly before it reached the spray gun.

Posted 2012-07-13T03:20:35+0000  by ordjen

IMG_0003.jpg 

I offer the following picture as an example of spray cans having been used to paint woodwork. The picture shows the freshly painted paint area at my local Home Depot. After several years, the paint is still holding, albeit with some touch up. So as to not bother customers and fellow associates, the actual spraying was done in my garage prior to its installation.

The old tan T1-11 which is used on the front of the counters was painted a slighty greeneish color which somewhat matched the store shelving. Behr Ultra was used on this prior to installing the pre-painted woodwork.

The decorative caps, which cover the paint racking in the middle of the mixing area, was constructed and painted in the store. Quite frankly, I built this of my own volition, knowing it is often easier to just do it then get prior approval. Fortunately, the regional vice-president saw it during one of her store visits and was delighted with its appearance.  Subsequently, the then store manager gave his OK to redo the whole paint counter. I had been lobbying for several months for permission to do this. This is essentially the way it still appears today.

Further, the paint shakers have been re-painted with RustOleum's Professional line of spray paint.  This line really gives a professional looking result. It is much slower drying than the Painters Touch and levels itself to a really hard, durable surface. Several years of accumulated dried paint was first stripped away and the surfaces primed before painting. The exterior of the machines look like new ( just don't look inside) ! :)

Posted 2012-07-17T02:30:14+0000  by ordjen
Hey Lexie10269,

When painting most factory finishes you can choose from two basic pathways for success:

1) Buff sand the entire surface with 220-grit sandpaper and apply a fresh coat of paint; or

2) Use an oil-based primer and follow with your paint of choice.

When I choose for durability, I always choose oil-based paint.

However, many people have success with water-based paints ... they sometimes scratch a bit easier than oil.

As for color, your Paint Associate can mix any color you select in either product.

It isn't uncommon for customers to use spray.

Your end result will be craftier rather than factory finished.

In an earlier thread, another Community Member produced this excellent example with craft appeal.

When you're done, take time to come back and share your handiwork.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2015-12-03T19:50:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+