Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting a 2 car garage that's part chip board and part dry wall

So I recently moved to a new state, and am renting a 'converted garage' at the moment. The garage really isn't what I would call converted, but I think with some paint and carpet, I can make do. The entire ceiling is drywall, and 1.5 walls are as well. The other 1.5 wall space, as well as on either side of the garage door, are chip board. I'm not really sure how long I will be staying here (at least two months, possibly more depending on if I get it looking nice enough) so I don't want to put too much time, effort, or most importantly money into the place. In other words, I don't want to sand the walls or anything :smileywink:

I've only painted a room once, and that was 8 or 9 years ago. Didn't do a professional job by any means! I have no idea how much paint I'll need, what kinds of paint are required, etc. Should I use different types of paint for the drywall portions and the chip board portions? I really don't even care what the colors are, so could I just use primer and leave it at that, to be more cost effective? Since I'm not going to sand the walls, I think I should stay away from gloss or semi gloss paint, since those would make imperfections more apparent, correct? Any help or suggestions are much appreciated for my newbie self. Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-11T22:10:51+0000  by Ciera89 Ciera89

Ciera89,

If you want to do the painting on the cheap, buy a 5 gallon bucket of Glidden's Speed-Wall. This is the contractor's grade paint which sells for about $45 for the 5 gallon bucket.  There is a white or a soft creamy white called Swiss Coffee. If the drywall has never been painted, you will use up most of the bucket blanking out the ceiling and walls.

A drywall primer is almost as expensive and would not cover nearly as well as it has much less white pigment in it than does the paint. The Speed-Wall will look pretty good, just don't try to wash it! :)

It actually pains me to give such advise, as I spent my whole contracting career doing quality residential painting!

Hope this has helped

Posted 2013-08-12T06:09:03+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+