Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting a chest of drawer from dark red/brown wood to black

This is my first and would like to knbow can i paint the chest of drawers from the color of red/brown to black   i live a in an apartment and cannot sand the chest  i redally dont know what I am doing the clerk at home depot gave me a glossy black paint to use

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-18T20:34:42+0000  by delanie122000 delanie122000

Hello Delanie!

Welcome to The Community!

Changing dark red/brown wood to black can be done several ways.

Since you don't want to sand, why don't we try an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain followed by either water-based or oil-based black paint ... whether you use gloss, semi-gloss, or a less shiny sheen, that choice is up to you.

The manufacturer's label on Zinsser Cover Stain says, "Sticks to all surfaces without sanding. Dries quickly. Use any topcoat."

What this means to you is simply dust and remove any dirt or debris from the surface and then prime.

You'll want to have your Paint Associate tint your Cover Stain gray ... there is no charge for tinting and the gray will be easier to cover with black than the original white color.

Allow the surface to dry about two-hours and then paint two coats of black with about four-hours between coats.

NOTE: Cover Stain is oil-based and will give off a strong odor for several hours after applied. Ventilate your room ... preferably to the outside.

Posted 2012-07-19T12:11:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+