Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting a room, 3 contrasting colors, ceiling is the lightest color, one wall darker, othr is lgthr

Not sure do I want to paint the celing and then the walls, and so I want to do the darkest color wall last or first, for cutting in purposes at corners. Any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-24T17:52:18+0000  by TinaS1 TinaS1

Hi Tina.  Welcome to the community.

I always like to start with the ceiling first.  If you are planning on painting the walls - go ahead and brush the ceiling paint onto the wall. It's just easier to brush a straight line on a wall than a ceiling. 

Next I would paint the light color - go ahead and paint right onto the wall that is going to be darker.  It's easier for dark to cover over light than light over dark.

Now, wait for the walls to completely dry (4 hours or more) and either tape the corner or brush a straight line into the corner with the darker color.  Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be perfect with the first coat - you can make up any irregularities with the second coat.  *Hint: pull any tape off as soon as possible after painting.  The longer you leave it up the more likely it will peel the paint up.

This concept can be carried over to painting trim as well. Just don't worry about a straight line when painting up against trim. Paint the trim last and try to keep it straight at that point.

Posted 2013-11-24T19:24:08+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thank you! Very helpful information. 

Happy Holiday's:smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-11-24T20:34:36+0000  by TinaS1

I think most painters would agree with Kevin that it is by far easier to do the ceiling first. As Kevin says, it is easier to cut in to the ceiling line, than the ceiling to the already painted wall. Also, if you paint the walls with a darker color, any drips or splatters from doing the ceiling last are bound to show up!

When "free handing" the cut in line, especially where there is a strong color contrast, I like to take a sharp lead pencil and draw a very faint line to define the corner. You merely hold the pencil at a low angle and lightly draw it down the corner , letting it fall where it may. Now your "target" is clearly defined. This is especially helpful in those areas of the country where textured walls are common. Between textured walls and the unicolor that builders put on new homes ceilings AND walls , it is often difficult to define what is the corner!

Sharp corners is where buying a really good brush is extremely helpful. Every painter has their personal favorite, but for years I have liked the Purdy 2 1/2 inch angular brush for cutting it. The angular design really comes in handy on an accent wall where a tight, 90 degree corner must be cut in. To me, the 2 1/2 inch brush is big enough to hold a decent amount of paint, yet small enough to get into tight corners and edges. But as said, to each their own!

If woodwork is to be painted, I personally prefer to do them before the walls , given no time constraints. A really crisp, clean cut in is easier to achieve by taping the already painted woodwork than by free handing the wall to the woodwork. Of course, this requires overnight drying so that the trim is dry enough so that the painter's tape does not pull off the new paint. If this system is used, make sure to use the "low tack" painter's tapes by 3M or other makers.

If two coats of paint is required for coverage on the wall, I will cut in real close to the tape, but not go over it. On the second coat, I will just brush over it.  Upon clearing a wall and positive that another coat is not neccessary, I immediately pull the tape off that stretch. If any paint went under the tape, it is easy to wipe off at this time with a smooth , damp cloth stretched over a spackle knife blade. Pulling the tape also assures that a film of dried paint does not pull the new paint off the wall along the edge.

Hope this has helped. As stated, every painter has their own technique. These are just a few hints as to how I have done it ove the years.

Posted 2013-11-25T00:33:01+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+