Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting a wall that was previously wallpapered

Hi all...I'm new here and I'm hoping I can find some help for my recently remodeled (or in the process of) bathroom.  This is my first home so I'm new to homeownership and all that comes with it.

We stripped the walls of their wall paper, but it didn't come off pretty.  A couple sections of the wall had multiple layers of wallpaper even.

I'm looking to paint the walls, but something needs done to the walls to "prep" them.  Sections of the wall look horrible now...I don't know the best way to go about fixing this...Here is a couple pics of what I'm working with...Any help for this would be wonderful.  Thanks so much!!20121019_083249.jpg20121019_083259.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-19T13:22:29+0000  by hazeedaisee hazeedaisee

Hello HazeeDaisee!

What a great screen name!

Also, thanks for the photos!

Patching and painting walls previously covered with wallpaper is the final act in a difficult home repair.

Here are your steps:

1) Use a gallon of very warm water mixed with a cup of vinegar to sponge-off as much of the remaining glue as possible;

2) Allow the surface to dry;

3) Use oil-based primer, like Zinsser Cover Stain, to prime the entire surface and allow to dry about two-hours;

4) Use spackle or sheetrock mud to fill the damaged areas;

5) Allow to dry four-hours and sand using 220-grit sandpaper until the wall feels smooth to the touch;

6) Wipe off the sanding dust with a dry terry towel and re-prime the repaired areas ... allow to dry about two-hours; and

7) Paint with water-based paint in a color that matches your decor ... expect to use two coats of paint.

NOTE: After wallpaper removal, wallpaper glue and water stains often remain. The oil-based primer will seal the remnants of your water-based glue and any remaining water stains. Water primers are not a good choice because they tend to re-wet water products and the stain bleeds back through. Almost all oil-based primer is also labeled, "Use any topcoat." This means you can apply water-based paint over the oil-based primer.

FINALLY: Almost all primer can be tinted to be similar to, but not exactly the same, as the color you choose and there is no charge for tinting. So, ask your Paint Associate to tint your primer ... you'll apply your first coat of color while priming and make painting the wall much easier.

Posted 2012-10-19T14:45:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I have also removed wallpaper in the bath and I am left with the sheetrock. It looks as though I prime and then fill in the damaged areas. I am wanting to prime and texture at the same time and then paint. How do I go about this?
Posted 2013-11-13T21:15:29+0000  by lakebreeze36

Lakebreeze,

Wall texture does not hide an irregular wall surface. The rough areas should be first sealed, patched, sanded and then sealed again. The general wall area is then textured. Once dry, it is again sealed with a dedicated drywall primer. That texture material is nothing more than a slurry of chaulk. It must be sealed to solidify it and bind it to the wall. It will soak up LOTS of primer and take 2 or 3 hours to dry due to all the moisture it sucks up.

Once throughly dry, it may be top coated with paint. Higher sheen paints such as satin or semi-gloss will probably not hold their sheen evenly in only one coat. Usually, a second finish coat is required for a well sealed, even sheened wall.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-11-14T03:02:04+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+