Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting after wallpaper remove arrgggg!!!!

I was really excited to start this remodel in my master bath, but now I'm ready to close the door and never open it again!!

After removing the wallpaper which was a pain all by itself, I'm left with walls that had 2 coats of paint under the wallpaper, removing the wallpaper pulled some of the top layer off, leaving me with "speckled texture" on 50% of my walls. I started spackling holes as per usual paint prep, but if I have to use this procedure to cover the "speckled texture" portion,  it will take forever to spackle and sand 50% of the walls. I tried some primer over a little of this area to see if it would maybe level it, but no luck.

I can't afford wall tile and I never want to see wallpaper again in my life lol.

Are there any suggestions on how to deal with this problem in a less time consuming manner. Faux painting? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-17T21:45:34+0000  by dawnsky57 dawnsky57

I feel your pain on this one!  I had the same issue with my guest bathroom...I did it the hard way...applied mud to the entire wall multiple times, sanded, then painted.  Phew, what a workout!

Then I noticed what the previous homeowner had done in the master bathroom of my house.  He applied the mud in a way that left the wall textured with the swirls that naturally result from the trowel strokes.  I've attached a picture to help illustrate this ('cuz it's kinda hard to explain).

Not sure if you could live with this, but it is an option if you're trying to avoid the nightmare I went through with my guest bathroom remodel!

Good Luck!

photo-2.JPG

Posted 2011-01-18T01:37:14+0000  by bhamtygr

Hi there Dawnsky57

I agree with bhamtygr on this one, applying mud to the entire wall is the way to go being that 50% of your walls already have some kind of textured finish :smileyvery-happy:

I would only suggest another option that you can go with; a knock down texture.

This is what I suggest;

First remove all of the flaking paint and clean any tough stains if present.

Secondly patch any large holes that are deeper than 1/8” of an inch and prime the walls using a stain blocking primer, see attached pictures.

KILZ_ProductPgImg_KILZ21G_105x125.jpgbehr undercoater.jpg

Wait until primer completely dries and apply a texture finish drywall compound or over the 3’x3’ section of the wall using a ¾” nap roller. For best results use a quality roller and cut in corners using a smaller trim roller. Add small amount of water to the compound to achieve roll able consistency and cross roll to prevent ridging. Wait for the texture to dry for about 10 minutes and knock down the rough finish using a wide knock down knife or wide taping knife.

ps-sheetrock-wall-ceiling-texture-tuf-tex.jpgknockdown.jpeg

Quick tip; start with the least noticeable section of the wall for the beginning so you can try different patterns and get some practice.

texture.jpegknockdown texture.jpeg

Now let’s talk about different texture finish options.

There are endless patterns and combinations that you can create. But in order to create some of more distingue patterns you would have to apply texture compound with a drywall knife and roll over with a texture roller to transfer the pattern from the roller to the surface. Be aware that this is little bit more difficult to do being that you have to keep going until entire wall is completed to prevent seaming. In addition you have to tape around  corners and anything that you think a roller will not be able to reach to transfer a pattern.

Textured_rollers_on_clay-741157.jpg

Finally regardless the texture you decide to go with finish  over with a paint of your choice.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project.

Posted 2011-01-18T16:13:41+0000  by George_HD_CHI
Hell! where in the world did the rollers come from? I would like to purchase. Please get back to me with contact information. Thanks so much
Posted 2012-11-16T00:41:45+0000  by chitowngirl

Hello neighbor :)

These are called clay rollers....

You will find a number of online retailers that sell these by googling "texture rollers for clay"...

Here's one place that popped right up...

http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_tools/pattern_clay_rollers.htm

Hope this helps,

George

Posted 2012-11-19T17:09:19+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Beadboard can also be a nice option in bathrooms which can look classy, relatively easy and cheap, and hides issues with walls. I used with in a turn of the century home with good results - used poplar 1x4 with a rabbet cut in the bottom to accept the beadboard to get a nice thicker top rail.

Steve

Posted 2012-11-30T04:55:17+0000  by wi-steve

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+