Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting an Alcove

I want to paint an alcove in my house. I'm thinking of doing some type of faux finish. What I need to know is how do I measure it so I know how much paint to get. Plan on doing two coats.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-26T16:43:01+0000  by crzyallday crzyallday

Good afternoon crzyallday!

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Depending on what type of faux finish you would like will determine how much base coat and glaze you will need. We have a great thread on the community already regarding faux finishing ideas. Refer to it to understand and familiarize yourself with some great finishes that will look great for your alcove. Click on the image below to find out more.

faux painting ideas

As for measuring your surface of the alcove, simply grab a tape measure and measure the length as well as width of any surface that you wish to paint. Length x width will equal the amount of paint you would need, expressed in square footage.

Most interior paints will cover approx. 100 square feet for a quart and 350-400 sq..ft. for a gallon over a primed, smooth surface. Of course, if you use a glaze, this can increase the square footage. I find that it helps to overestimate the project for any curves or obtuse angles on the walls and ceilings, if you have any in the alcove. As stated earlier, depending on what type of faux finish you would like will determine how much you will need.

Simply take your measurements down on paper and come into your local Home Depot and our paint department associates and kiosks located there can get you squared away for getting the right look you want for your alcove.

And as always, you can ask us any further questions here on the community. We have a bevy of paint experts that will be happy to answer any additional information you may have. 

Regards,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-05-26T17:18:42+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+