Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting an older, louvered exterior door?

I live in an older home (1890's construction) and my VISIBLE front door has louvers with a screen.  I can remove the screen for painting, but I'm not sure how to handle the remainder.  It has small wooden louvers (approx 1-1 1/2")  and what appears to be several layers of paint.  it is wood, but very old.  How can I safely prime the surface for a new paint color? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-31T14:46:31+0000  by AMHughes AMHughes

I have found that lightly sanding with an emory cloth type sandpaper (pulling it through the center) is the best way to get the surface ready for paint.

emery.jpg

Unfortunately, there aren't any quick tips for painting the louvers..Just use an angled sash brush and "poke" it into the sides first - catching all the inside joints and frame.  Then brush each lover across - allowing the brush to go all the way to the other side.  Immediately check the opposite side after painting a section to catch any drips on the edges and corners.

By the time you have painted one door you will be an expert at it.:smileywink:

Posted 2013-06-02T14:55:58+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

You will save a lot of time and heavy paint build up if you use spray cans of primer for at least the prime coat. If you find a suitable sheen and color, you can also do the finish coat with spray cans. Doing louvers with a brush is very time consuming. There is also the possibility of drips and runs to the opposite side of the louvers. You have to constantly check the other side to make sure you aren't leaving massive runs.

Posted 2013-06-03T03:26:04+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+