Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting baseboard heating units

What is the best paint to use for base board heating units?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-08T19:12:53+0000  by ewstone55 ewstone55

liscaprez,

I doubt that the paint per se is the problem. Usually when paint fails on metal it because the metal was not properly prepared at the factory. Metal is usually "pickled" with an acid wash to etch the surface. There are also self-etching primers. Neither do I think you need high heat paint. Most paints are fine to about 200 degrees. Your door will not reach these temps.

You will want to remove the old paint the best you can be sanding it with a fine sandpaper of about 180 grit. This should feather out the roughness on the edgges of the peeled paint. It should also abraid the metal enough so that new paint will adhere to it.  For a professional looking finish, I would us spray cans. There are self-etching primers available at Home Depot, as well as primers designed for aluminum, which I assume your door is made of. There is a wide choice of RustOleum colors and finishes available too. Obviously, extensive taping off of the area to be sprayed will be neccessary.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-07-19T16:03:37+0000  by ordjen

My home has a double door entry with storm doors.  We have a southern exposure, and the paint on the steel doors has blistered and peeled. I think this condition was caused by the sunny condition baking these doors daily.   These doors came with a faux wood grain finish.  Each door has a large etched glass oval in the center.   The house is brown Brick with White trim.

I am wondering if a high heat white brush on paint would solve the problem?

Posted 2013-07-19T12:29:50+0000  by liscaprez

ewstone,

The contributors here seem to want to steer you to Rust-Oleum High Heat paint. Hot water baseboards and electric baseboards do not begin to reach the temperatures requiring a high temperature paint. Any of the convention spary paints or brushing oil paints can handle the temps generated by baseboads. I have painted them for years in such a manner. The spray will give you a smoother, more factory like finish than will the brushing paint.

Unfortunately, you are stuck with the colors available in the spray cans. Also unfortunate is that most HD stores have a very poor selection of oil brushing paints, although some are testing a line of Behr's Semi-Gloss Oil which can be mixed to any color. If you decide to brush oil paint, one tip: warm the paint in hot water. Oil paints flow like melted butter when warm! Indeed, I also routinely heat my spray cans before use. Put the can in the hottest water that comes out of the faucet for several minutes. It builds up the pressure in the can, so it sprays better. As stated, all oil paint loosens up when warm. It was an old painters trick to "thin" the paint when you were out of paint thinner. My late father would relate to me that as a kid in the 1920's, painters would work out of a kind of double boiler which would constantly keep the oil enamel warm.

Posted 2012-01-08T05:24:19+0000  by ordjen

Hey there hmarcous,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Great question! Unfortunately, the brush-on Rust-Oleum High Heat Protective Enamel only comes in the BBQ Black color and isn't tintable.

They do however make the spray version in an almond color, Rust-Oleum High Heat Flat Almond Spray Paint. Aside from the white color, that would be your best bet in something neutral. Check with your local store for availability.

Hopefully one of these will be able to help you out though and get you started painting. = ) Please let us know if you have any other questions about it!~

Posted 2012-01-06T20:10:50+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi,

Can the brush on high heat paint be tinted to match a wall color.  My walls are benjamin moore 'white dove' and i am worried the white rustoleum high heat paint will be too bright next to the walls.  albeit better than the yellowish color they are now...

Posted 2012-01-06T19:51:41+0000  by hmarcous

Hello Ewstone55

Christine is absolutely right. Rust-Oleum has a High Heat spray and brush on paint. It comes in an assortment of colors black, silver etc…. Here’s an example of what the cans would look like.

Rust-Oleum 12 oz. Flat Black Specialty High Heat Spray Paint

The Rust-Oleum 12 oz. Flat Black Specialty High Heat Spray Paint is made of an oil-based formula that can be cleaned up easily using Mineral Spirits. The specialty paint can be used on a variety of surfaces including grills and wood stoves and dries in as little as 20 minutes for your convenience. The paint can cover an area of up to 50 sq. ft.

The Rust-Oleum Specialty 32 oz. BBQ Black High Heat Protective Enamel (2-Pack) can be used on your home's grills, wood-burning stoves, radiators, engines or other metal items that heat up to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent rusting, retain color and finish. One 32 oz. can covers up to 100 sq. ft. and dries in as little as 30 minutes.

Hope this visual is helpful

ThePaintAvenger

Posted 2011-11-10T14:05:42+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

Welcome to our community ewstone55!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta. 

Rust-Oleum has a line of high heat paint that will work well for painting your base board heating units. There are spray on and brush on options and they come in a variety of different colors. 

If you have any more questions, please let us know! 

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-11-09T12:38:12+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+