Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting black kitchen table

I have a black kitchen table and chairs that I'd like to paint an antique white. It had a shinier finish that has chipped and scratched over the past 5 years. It also has grooves and is not a completely smooth surface. In the past when I've painted furniture, the surfaces would always stay sticky and tacky. I definitely want to avoid this, especially since this is our family table used for homework as well as all meals. How do I go about getting the table white and looking high quality?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-14T22:35:48+0000  by Alexakay Alexakay

Howdy Alexakay,

Welcome to The Home Depot Community for starters. Learning, teaching, and giving ideas is what we do here and I think I have some good tips to help you turn that black table and chairs into a new white version. So let's get to it, shall we?

As you might know painting walls is one thing, but there are a few different measures you need to take in order to ensure that your furniture-painting project is looking as smooth as possible.

• First you need to get rid of as much of the black paint so the white goes on easy. Jasco 1 qt. Premium Paint-and-Epoxy Remover is what I used and it saves a bunch of time. Remember safety glasses and chemical gloves.
  • It is best to prime all painting surfaces to prevent stains from bleeding through the new paint.

I recommend a quality product like Rust-Oleum  Protective Enamel  Oil Base Paint. The primer and paint are great.

• Primer must match the type of paint you have chosen. For furniture it's best to use a satin or semigloss finish in either a latex or an oil-based paint. Never leave primer unpainted.

• If you choose a latex paint, a latex primer is an excellent choice for most uses. It goes on easily and blocks most stains, but it doesn't have the odor of an oil-based primer.

• Although you can use oil-based primers with latex paints, you must use an oil-based primer with oil-based paints. Oil-based primers offer superior adhesion and stain blocking, but they do have a strong odor. When using oil-based primers and paints, make sure you have good room ventilation. I like garages or patios for this type of project.

• When you're painting, start at the top and work down, smoothing paint drips as you work downward.

• If you notice some drips when it's dried you can use some fine sandpaper and smooth it out. Then put a little paint for the sheen to be uniform.

Remember: Latex paint comes in a variety of sheens, including flat, low sheen or satin, semigloss acrylic latex and oil-based enamel. Oil-based paint can be used for both exterior painting and interior trim work; it's also very durable and easy to clean. Make sure to allow your paint to dry to keep tacky and sticky surface from happening.

Happy Painting,

Posted 2013-01-15T00:03:11+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Alexakay,

You write, "In the past when I have painted furniture, the surfaces would always stay sticky and tacky". I would bet that you had used a latex paint on those pieces. Latex/acrylic paints are notorious for this quality when used on furniture or cabinetry. Oil enamels, by contrast,  dry to a hard, durable surface, devoid of that sticky quality. Oil paints can be sanded and feathered out well. Acryics just clog your sandpaper or roll up into little rubbery balls.

You certainly can strip the pieces down to bare wood and start anew, but this is a quantum leap in the work, mess and cost  involved. The pieces can be merely cleaned, scuff sanded and then primed. Given a warm place in wihich to work and make a little mess, i am an advocate of the use of spray cans to give a smooth, hard, professional looking finish. RustOleum makes a white spray primer and several colors of white spray enamels.

If spraying is not an option, RustOleum also makes a quality white oil brushing enamel. Glidden also has a gelled , high gloss, off white oil paint which exhibits very good leveling without causing a drippy mess.

Stick with oil and avoid having your dishes and arms stick to the table top!

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-01-15T06:19:24+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+