Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Painting can I cover up Masonry Joints?

Hello, I have a Cement Block basement, it is dry and am I looking to finish it without framing in the concrete block walls.  I will mention that the walls have 3 coats of Killz Oil based primer from a flooding incident due to a prolonged period of no power (forclosure)

I have purchased the Behr textured paint, the type with the red stripe, and it in my test splotch it did successfully cover up many of the rough features of the concrete blocks.  Unfortuntely, the paint did little to nothing to fill in the depressions where the blocks ajoined (mortarjoints?).  Im looking for a solution to this.

Can I:

-Apply drywall mud and then paint the walls via my sprayer, so I wouldn't really need a thick Behr textured paint and I could use drywall mud to add some texture.  How much sanding would I need to do on the drywall mud?

-Apply drywall mud in the mortary joints and then apply the Behr textured paint?

-Apply Behr textured paint in the mortar joints, filling them in, and then when they dry I could apply a full coat of Behr textured paint on a "hopefully level" surface?

I have applied a swatch in an area that will not be finished, and I used the rolled method and the rolled method smoothed over with a whisk broom.  Both still left me seeing the mortar joints.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-28T22:19:13+0000  by BSpreeman BSpreeman

Hello and thanks for stopping the community.

You have given great thought to finding a solution to your situation.  I love the "outside the box" method so much that I want to throw a couple more your way and get your thoughts.

First and most important:  Kilz primer is not a water-proofer and will release its grip if moisture should ever occur again. This usually results in bubbles and blisters underneath the paint that may result in mold growth. 

The best way to solve any potential moisture problems is with a water-proofing paint like DRYLOK.  This paint is very thick and has sand like texture to it.  I have found that if the mortar joints are not too deep, applying the required two coats usually makes them disappear.

drylock.jpg

In your situation - if no moisture coming through the wall you may be able to apply drywall compound to the joints and paint over with the texture paint.  However, this is not the most common (or advisable) way to properly finish the wall.  In your case (having already applied primer) this may be the quickest way to achieve your goal.

One final possibility would be to trowel stucco or cement mix over the whole surface and paint it.

Posted 2012-12-30T15:53:28+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+