Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Painting kitchen tile

I have old green tile in my kitchen behind the sink and stove and would like to get rid of it---it's the old seventies earth tone green.  Is it possible to paint it or must I have it removed.  I am operating on a small budget but am trying to update my kitchen.  My son is doing all the work he has some experience, not with tile though.  Any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-20T15:02:52+0000  by alm577 alm577

Welcome to our community alm577!

My name is Christine and in the paint department at Home Depot in Atlanta. I get this question quite often and I know exactly what you need!

The first thing you are going to want to do is wash the tile with trisodium phosphate (TSP). You want to make sure that any oily residue is taken off.

Next you are going to prime the surface. I would recommend using the Gripper primer by Glidden. Here is what it looks like:

Gripper.jpg

This primer will stick to anything, including tile. Wait 24 hours for the primer to set before you paint.

Painting time! The choice is yours on what sheen you would like to paint the tile. Do you still want it to look like tile? If so, you will want to go with high-gloss paint. If you do not want it to look like tile, than a less shiny sheen will be fine.

For kitchen walls, people generally use a satin finish. It is easy to clean, and it can withstand the humidity of a kitchen.

Since your surface is smooth, using a foam roller is going to be your best option. It will not leave pesky brush strokes and, if you use high gloss paint, it will leave a nice, glass-like finish.

Happy Painting!

Christine

Posted 2011-04-20T16:36:03+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hi, I know this is an old post. Iwonder if this same procedure will work for bathroom shower wall tiles, too? How waterproof, how durable is the paint on shower walls? Thank you! Katie
Posted 2012-03-17T00:01:01+0000  by k24

Well Katie, the short answer is "NO" :smileymad:

All is not lost though, there are products in your local store that meant for painting tub, shower and surrounds. Think long and hard about this though, they have mixed results. Some people have no problems whatsoever, thinking of the process as buying them time before they go ahead and retile. Yet others will tell you it is a major headache and waste of time and money. Two products come to mind, one by Magic American, it is a two part epoxy paint product and the other is by Homax. I believe they consider it a one part epoxy paint product. I'm about to head to bed, but I know there have been several posts in the Paint section about the two. You might ask PatInPaint about them.

Posted 2012-03-17T04:57:54+0000  by Paul
Thanks, Paul. I'll check those products, but I didn't really think ANY paint would be very durable in that location, even epoxy. Just hoping there was a magic new-fangled cure that might save me from having to replace 3 walls of tile in an old house. Oh well -- this is just another of the many joys of home ownership! Thanks for your advice. Katie
Posted 2012-03-17T18:29:06+0000  by k24

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+