Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Painting metal railing

Hello,

I'm planning to paint a metal indoor handrail (including the balusters) that I have stripped down to bare metal.  What would be the best primer and paint to use in this high traffic area?  I can't seem to find most of the products I see recommended in home depot.  I'm wondering if this is because I am in California and we have all sorts of environmental rules restricting us.

Anyway, appreciate any advice.

-Jonathan

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-14T01:57:25+0000  by jinfluence jinfluence

Hello Jonathan!

Kevin has been away for a few days, so I thought I'd try giving you a simple solution.

Rust-Oleum Customer Service tells me that these products should be available in California.

As a base coat, I recommend Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer (quart-size or spray).

As a top coat, I recommend Rust-Oleum Oil-based Gloss or Semi-Gloss (quart-size or spray) in one of their ready-mix colors (black, white, hunter green, etc.)

These traditional metal coatings create durable, long-lasting finishes in several colors, and Rust-Oleum ensures me that these products should be available in California. 

NOTE:

According to Rust-Oleum, the quart-size and spray cans of these oil-based products meet California's VOC requirements. So you should be able to locate them in your area.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-04-18T20:13:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

There is a latex product specifically designed for your situation.  Its called DTM (Direct to Metal) and solves that problem with oil-based products and the EPA or local regulations (i.e.. California).

1-Gal. Glossy Direct-to-Metal Acrylic Interior/Exterior Primer and Finish

It's a high end metal primer and final finish product that is usually considered to be an industrial product - meaning that it is meant for high traffic areas.

I checked - and some stores in California had a gallon or two in stock.  The best thing to do is go here and pick your stores location as default.  Order it and have it shipped to your store. 

Posted 2013-04-14T14:50:35+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks for your reply.  I had looked at the DTM before and was having trouble finding it.  There is one store within 50 miles that said they had 2 cans of the paint but they cancelled my order after I ordered (with no explanation - thought that maybe they don't actually have it and maybe it isn't allowed in CA since no store seems to actually have it).  Looking at the page I don't see an option to order and ship to store (maybe because it says it can't ship to CA or OR?).  Is this something I would need to go into the store and have them order for me?

Assuming I can find some (and that seems like a big IF) would this be my paint and primer in one?

Thanks for the help,
Jonathan

Posted 2013-04-14T17:56:10+0000  by jinfluence

Hello,

So, I just came back from my local home depot to try to find the DTM primer/finisher.  They didn't have any and I was told could they could not order it for me.  I'm not sure the guy really knew what he was talking about but do you have any other suggestions for me if I can't find that DTM paint here in California?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Posted 2013-04-16T00:46:42+0000  by jinfluence

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your response.  That is essentially what I decided I should go with.  Instead of the top coat you recommended I had picked up the Rust-Oleum Professional 1-Gal. White Gloss Professional Protective Enamel to go with the clean metal primer. The can says it is for Metal Substrates Only.  Do you think that would be appropriate or would I better of with the item you mentioned?

Appreciate the feedback!

-Jonathan

Posted 2013-04-19T03:13:22+0000  by jinfluence

Excellent choice jinfluence!

Once you've primed with Clean Metal Primer, you're ready for the topcoat.

These products are specifically designed to protect and make long-lasting finishes on metal.

When you're done, come back and offer your feedback to The Community!

Posted 2013-04-23T14:31:18+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+