Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Painting over Red

My husband and I just bought our first house and will be painting the kitchen. Right now it is red. We were thinking of buying the Behr Premium Plus Ultra in Marmalade Glaze. Do we need to paint over the red with anything or can we paint right over it with the Ultra paint? Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-28T15:41:54+0000  by newhmowner newhmowner

Hey Newhmowner!

Congrats on the new home and welcome to the community!

I'm PatInPaint and I taught the class on Behr Ultra when it first came out.

Honestly, after years of instructing customers to use tinted primer to help make a dark-to-light transition, I was pleasantly surprised at how well Ultra covered.

In the class and now repeated numerous times by my customers, almost every color transition is possible with two coats of Ultra.

The only exception I have found is painting over semi-gloss and high-gloss factory finishes on doors and windows. These coatings were designed to resist handprints, dirt and stains ... and they resist repainting as well. So before you paint this type trim, use an oil-based primer like Cover Stain and then repaint using any topcoat.

But on walls, already painted in satin, eggshell, or flat sheens, you should be able to simply apply a coat of Ultra in Marmalade Glaze using a 3/8 nap roller, wait four hours, apply your second coat, and enjoy your new kitchen.

Best wishes for the New Year in your new home!

Best Answer

Posted 2010-12-28T16:06:36+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+