Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting over a Crackle Finish

Need to paint over a crackle finish in a bathroom. I already tried Gripper. Any suggestions? Sanding? Spackling? Put a sand finish in paint? Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-22T00:25:19+0000  by Mommy2boys Mommy2boys

Hello Mommy2Boys,

Welcome to our community! My name is Christine and I’m a paint associate at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

Painting over crackle can be tricky. No worries, I’m here to help! I’m going to go over some of the options that you can choose from.  

In your question you suggested painting with a sand finish. If that is something that you want to do, you can, but if later down the road you want to make the wall smooth, it will be double tricky. On the plus side, applying the sand texture to the wall will be the simplest.

There are a few ways to achieve a sand finish.

At The Home Depot we sell this:

SandAdditive.jpg

This is sand that is made to be mixed with paint. One box of this should be added to one gallon of paint.  Make sure to use a bigger bucket for mixing because the sand will cause the paint to expand. To apply this to the wall you should use a goop or texturizer roller. Here’s what one looks like:

Texturizer.jpg

Another way to add a sand texture to the wall is to use this product by Behr:

BehrSand.jpg

This is a 2 gallon container and it is white. You will first roll this on the wall, with the goop roller. Then after it dries you will apply the paint of your desired color.

Both of these options should cover your crackle finish.

Now, if you want to surface to be smooth there are a few other things that you can do.

You have the option to sand the surface. I would suggest using a power sander like this one:

powersander.jpg

You should start with 60 grit sand paper to remove the texture. After the crackle is gone, sand over it again with an 80 grit to smooth it out. Once it is smooth, go over it again with a 120 grit to finish it off. After it is smooth you will want to prime the wall (the Gripper is a really good primer). Then after it dries paint on top of it. Make sure to use protective eyewear while sanding.

You can also use a stripper. I would suggest using a sprayable stripper such as this one made by Klean-Strip:

sprayableStripper.jpg

If you want to do this one, I can’t stress to you enough how important it is to be safe while using this product. Make sure to wear protect eyewear, gloves, and a mask. Also, open as many windows as possible and be sure to take fresh air breaks. This chemical is very strong. If you decided to use a stripper make sure to follow the instructions carefully. After the crackle is gone, you will need to prime and then paint your desired color. 

As you can see there are a range of options for you to choose from.

Good luck and happy painting.

Let me know if I can help further with this project and future projects.

Christine        

Posted 2010-12-22T13:17:43+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+