Sign In to join the community | Help

Painting over a crackle finish

Greetings community! 


rmp8473 has a great question about painting over crackle.   





Just stumbled upon your comments concerning this.  Out kitchen cabinets were done in a crackle finish by the previous owner.  To save some money, we don't want to remove the cabinets.  Ideally, we'd like a smooth finish, but unfortunately don't have the time and the means to go striping and sanding cabinets while having a clean place to cook.


We're looking into the Rustoleam cabinet refinishing products but have been advised that the texture will still show through.  I realize just plain paint will show the texture.  I also know there's a lot of paints nowadays- some lookign like stone, ect.  We're just in a bind here as far as knowledge, what we can do to give our cabinets new life without tearing them out or creating a huge mess in the kitchen that we must use while this project is being undertaken.


Can you help with some ideas and suggestions?  Thanks!  -Bob

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-19T13:33:30+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL Christine_HD_ATL

Hey there Bob,


Welcome to our community! Unfortunately painting over crackle is not the simplest project in the land. I have discussed your situation with PaintPro here on the community and he and I have come up with some ideas for you.


First you are going to want to fill in the cracks using ‘Paint -n- Patch’ lightweight spackling. This will be the easiest for you to work with. Just put it on your finger and work it into the cracks.


Paint -N- Patch Lightweight Spackling


After you apply this all over, lightly sand it smooth with a fine grit sand paper.


Then prime the surface with either a latex or oil based primer. Most people prefer latex based because it dries quickly and doesn’t leave a lingering odor like oil based.


After you have primed, you are set to paint!


You mentioned using the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit. I would not recommend using this for your project. It needs to be applied to a slick surface such as laminate or wood.


I hope that helped you out.


Please let us know if you need any more assistance with this project and any other project you are working on!


Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-12-19T13:48:48+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Thanks Christine!  I'll certainly take a serious look at your suggestion as an option.  Should be an interesting time w/o a doubt.  When we do get started, we'll defintiely do the before and after pics.  Thanks for your help!!


Posted 2011-12-27T21:40:25+0000  by rmp8473

Personally, I would strip the cabinets if you have a work space in which to to make a bit of a mess. Strippers are working chemically, so you will want a warm work space with good ventilation. Many urban areas also have stripping operations where you can take your doors where they will be stripped by dipping in hot lye. Of course, you would still have the cabinet bases to deal with yourself.


When stripping over floors that are to remain, you want to double cover them with red rosin paper to protect them from the strippers. I would tape the rosin paper to the floor with a triple layer of masking tape, as the stripper will eat its way through a single layer. The rosin paper can also be cut to size to protect the counter tops. Rosin paper is really handy to have around the house and it is very inexpensive - about $13 for a 160 x 3 foot roll.

Posted 2012-01-09T05:27:44+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question