Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting over wallpaper

My bathroom has wallpaper. It is in good condition but I want to paint over it. It is has a texture to it. What is the best way to do this and what kind of paint should I use??

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-14T03:29:00+0000  by melandfo melandfo

Greetings Karen56!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot. 

Typically I recommend using a satin finish paint in the kitchen. After it is primed with an oil- based primer, you can use either a latex or oil- based paint. I have heard of people using a textured paint on top of wallpaper as well. The texture finish will cover any imperfections.

I hope that helped. Let us know if we can help with anything else!

Happy Painting,

Christine :smileyhappy:  

Posted 2011-09-19T15:27:19+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

This is great advice!  I will also be painting over wallpaper in my kitchen.  What type of paint do you recommend?

Posted 2011-09-11T15:31:45+0000  by karen56

Very good advice PainterBob!

If I might, I'd like to add two suggestions.

Since the adhesive on the back of the wallpaper is water-based, you should use an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain or Kilz Original to seal the wall before you begin with your water-based paint.

When you visit the Store, be certain to have your Paint Associate tint your primer to be similar to the new color. There is no charge for tinting and while you are priming, you will be applying your first coat of color; ultimately saving you coats of paint.

Follow PB's advice on those paint sales as well!!!

Posted 2011-07-14T12:19:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

If the textured finish of the current wall paper is fine for you, then simply prime over it, then paint with your desired color. You can simply use one of the many latex products offered at THD. If you have any specific questions between the paints offered at the store, you can just ask one of the paint dept staff for guidance. If you have any spots in need of repair, try Stress Crack Tape.

FYI Home Depot has paint sales over every holiday weekend..

Posted 2011-07-14T04:30:30+0000  by painterbob

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+