Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting over wallpaper

What products do I need to paint over wallpaper -or would it be better to remove the wallpaper first? If so how do I achieve that?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-27T17:42:27+0000  by sherski sherski

Welcome to our community Sherski! 

I get asked this question all the time at the store! It is better, if you are willing and able, to remove the wallpaper. Painting over wall paper is easier, but is is better to paint on a "fresh" surface. It will also be harder to remove wallpaper once it has been painted.

Let's first talk about how to remove wallpaper

Here are the tools and materials that you need for removing wallpaper:

6" Wallboard Knife

Bucket

Perforating Tool

Solution Sprayer

Sponge

Drop Cloth

Wallpaper Remover Solution

What you need for this job

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3 Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

**Before painting, you will need to prime the surface with an oil based primer. If you do not, the remaining glue with reactivate and cause your paint to bubble.** 

Now, let's talk about how to paint over wallpaper 

Step 1: Glue down any seams that are coming up with wallpaper seam repair

Step 2: Using lightweight spackle and a putty knife, smooth out the seams of the wallpaper. 

Step 3: Prime the surface with an oil or shellac based primer. Do not use latex based primer. Using latex based will reactivate the glue underneath the wallpaper and will cause it is peel and bubble. 

Step 4: After the primer has dried, paint the surface in the color of your choosing. You don't have to use oil based, unless you just want to. Latex based paint is just fine. :)

If you have any more questions, please let us know! 

- Christine :) 

Posted 2013-12-30T16:01:30+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+