Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Painting prep for 1924 home

Howdy, Forums.

An article about Martha Stewart Project Paints on the Aprom Blog prompted a question from reader Patti:

"I have a house built in 1924. All woodwork needs painting and I think the doors have been painted with latex. Can you help with prep and what kind of paint to use that will be easier to clean and in future painting."

What should we tell her?

--Craig, from the Apron Blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-12T15:23:07+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Hello Craig,

Thanks for forwarding Patti's question!

When Patti refers to "woodwork," she is most likely referring to trim that is stained and clear coated.

Her prep will include simply wiping these surfaces with TSP on a rag. TSP is a cleaner, de-glosser which covers the two most basic steps when preparing to paint any surface.

While wiping, she will want to make note of any areas where the clear coat is flaking. Use a paint scraper to remove flake until the surface is well-adhered, then lightly sand the exposed edge with 220-grit sandpaper and wipe off the sanding dust.

Next, she'll use an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain to prime all of the recently cleaned surfaces ... the product is named for the function she is performing: covering stain.

Allow the primer to dry for about two-hours and then paint with water-based gloss or semi-gloss in the color of her choice. Two coats will be required and she should allow four-hour dry time between coats.

Shiny paints repel dirt and stains so they tend to clean easier and be more durable. They also tend to be harder to paint in the future for the same reasons. I am recommending either gloss or semi-gloss because these are the sheens most commonly used on trim and doors.

She believes the doors are painted with latex (water-based) paint. This means her prep will consist of sanding the doors to remove any gloss visible on the surface, wipe off the sanding dust with a terry towel, and then apply a coat of primer followed by two coats of the same water-based paint she used for the trim.

Finally, I would encourage her to focus on producing the best paint job she can at the present time, and not worry too much about making painting easier in the future. High contact surfaces (like trim and doors) in high traffic areas (like entry and hallways) will be easier to clean on a day-to-day basis if she uses a shiny paint.

She will have to follow some of these steps again when she re-paints in the future ... many years from now.

In the interim, she can enjoy the beauty of her fresh, clean trim and doors!

Posted 2012-06-12T16:57:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Having spent a lifetime applying oil paints to woodwork, it was like heresy to use acrylic based products directly to oil paints or varnished woodwork. When Ultra first appeared at Home Depot, I prepared a test strip of gloss urethaned door casing to which I applied two coats of Ultra Interior Semi-Gloss white. I keep this test strip handy to show customers how well bonded the Ultra remains. Wanting to see the worst case scenario,  I did not even scuff sand the varnish or use a deglosser. To this day, the Ultra is holding fabulously!

Fortunately, I will not have to go to confession for perpetrating this heresy! :)

Posted 2012-06-15T05:38:02+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+