Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting tip & Gripper primer

Hello, I have lightly sanded, wiped down with No-Sand, prime with Gripper primer (that has been tinted grey) to my ivory oil based painted kitchen cupboards. Now that have done this I like the primer color for my base color but I would like to put an antiqued look on them with a even darker grey almost a black) over the top, so that it gets in the cracks and what not. Can I just rub a latex paint mixed with a glaze rite over the primer or will I need to paint the cupboards with a latex paint then do the faux finish?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-24T12:44:45+0000  by dhackett44 dhackett44

dhackett,

Yes, you can glaze over the primer. You will want to mix 1 part paint color of your choice into 4 parts glazing liquid. The glaze is then wiped or rubbed off by use of some medium. As with the case of the Cabinet Transformation product, a folded piece of cheese cloth is used. It can also be striated by dragging a course brush through it. You will probably want to make a sample board upon which to practice your technique.

Once the cabinets have been glazed to your satisfaction, they must be clear coated to protect them and make them more washable. A clear water based urethane such as Minwax Polycrylic works well for this. Polycrylic comes in three sheen choices.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-10-24T16:30:55+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+