Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting trim

I want to paint the trim in my house white. Would it be best to remove the trim, paint and replace? Seems to me the finished project would be crisper as apposed masking it off and painting.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-01T16:19:47+0000  by ms__di ms__di

Hi Ms_Di,

On most homes the trim is nailed and in some cases glued into place. Removing the trim will be a major project and will result in some pieces being damaged and needing replacement.

In addition removing the trim will break the existing paint film and create new avenues for moisture to enter the structure.

Modern painters tape works wonders and makes masking much easier than in the past.

We sell at the Home Depot Frog Tape and  Bloc It Masking Tape; both are specifically designed to give a clean line and to be easily removed after painting.

Give them a try and let us know how they worked.

Mike,

Posted 2012-11-01T17:07:42+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

What an excellent question Ms Di!

Removing trim is not that difficult.

If you check the aisle where hand tools are sold in the Hardware Department, you'll find thin, six-inch pry bars that are specifically made to remove trim.

Use a paint stir stick between the wall and the pry bar to prevent damaging the sheetrock. Use a hammer to tap the pry bar behind the trim and move down the wall as the trim begins to loosen. Once you've gotten the trim loose, go back and pry a bit more. Repeat until the trim is loose enough to remove.

NOTE: Most often, I've found trim attached to the wall with wire staples. Removing these staples can create additional repairs by damaging the visible surface of the trim. So, as you remove each piece, do your best to keep these staples from bending at odd angles. In most cases, I've been able to reset the trim with the original wire staple. In cases where the staples are too damaged, carefully remove them and after replacing the trim use wood filler over the hole.

FINALLY: I love using oil-based spray paint when the trim is off. It is dries quicker (about 30 minutes per coat) and leaves a slick, smooth finish. Sprays come in pure white as well as a small selection of off-whites.

TIMELINE vs. SIMPLICITY: I would expect that you could caulk, tape, prime, and paint trim on the wall about as quickly as you can remove, paint, replace, and caulk trim. The "Remove" technique also requires that you choose a spray color that matches the color of your caulk. I'm not certain there is a significant time savings ... but when I've done the "Remove" technique, I liked the simplicity.

Posted 2012-11-01T17:16:36+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+