Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting two different colors on one wall.

I want to paint two different colors on the walls of a bedroom with the ceiling a lighter color. On the walls the bottom will be the darker color so: which color do I paint first? What laser level do you recommend for going around the whole room? Is there a better type then the blue painters tape for sectioning off the wall? When do I take the tape off the wall, right after I paint or after the second coat has been applied? I will be using Behr paint.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-28T16:43:01+0000  by laurenok laurenok

Hello Lauren,

What a great project!!!

I'm PatInPaint and I work in the Paint Department at Home Depot in Atlanta.

Typically, I would suggest painting "Top Down."

That means starting with the ceiling, then the top half of the wall, then the lower half of the wall.

You didn't mention crown molding, chair rail, or shoe molding ... If you only have shoe molding, paint it just before you paint the lower half of the wall. If you have crown molding and/or chair rail, all of the trim would be painted just before painting the top half of the wall.

Tape has taken a green leap forward since Frog Tape was re-introduced this past year ... this product produces an almost perfect straight line when applied and removed within 21-days.

3M Delicate Tape with Edge-Lock also makes a perfect line and can be removed 60-days after application.

Both Produce Great Results. Since your project includes taping over fresh paint, I would recommend 3M Delicate Tape.

Remove the tape by turning the edge either up or down at a 45-degree angle. This creates a release point at the wall where the layers of paint cross onto the tape ... pulling the tape straight away from the wall leaves too much tape surface pulling up at once and can result in pulling paint off the wall.

If you experience any difficulty while removing the tape, run a straight-edge razor between the fresh paint and the tape before removing.

Finally, I usually allow the first coat to dry at least four hours (or longer if instructed), apply the second coat, and then remove the tape based upon the "dries to the touch" instructions on the paint can.

If the paint dries to the touch in 1-hour, then I remove the tape at approximately 1-hour after applying the second coat.

I own the Johnson Rotary Level and have been very happy using it in many applications including creating straight tape lines. What I like most is the tripod in this kit allows you to level the laser over almost any smooth or uneven surface.

Here is a picture:

JhnsnRtryLevel.jpg 

This laser will cast a beam approximately 200-feet under normal light.

LASER NOTE: I have used this laser for many tasks including leveling appliances, leveling paver patios, establishing a base row in a crosstie wall, and identifying uneven subfloors. Great utility!!!

Posted 2011-06-28T18:04:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Good Morning, I just wanted to let you know that I've finished this project which you made a lot easier with your suggestions and ideas. I purchased the laser level you suggested and I LOVE IT. I tried the Frog tape for the first time and it was OK for the primed walls but did not stick to the fresh paint when I went to tape the top part of the wall to paint the second color (I even waited 22 hours before trying to tape over the fresh paint). I didn't have any blue tape left so had to use the Frog tape and just put up small (one foot) pieces of tape and hurried to brush down when painting the "trim" then rolled right after that. Should have used the 3M that you suggested! Lesson learned... Thanks again for your help and I'm glad I took the time to ask you for your expert opinion. Will visit again.

Posted 2011-07-07T15:53:18+0000  by laurenok

You are so welcome Lauren!

I just finished leveling a parking pad adjacent to my driveway and that wonderful level made my life soo easy!

Since you "Love It," I'll take a moment and share another unusual use.

A tenant said to me, "when I cook eggs they always end up on the front edge of the pan." 

I brought my handy level over and discovered that the entire cooktop was higher in the back than the front ... resulting in her egg overflow.

After removing the trim at the bottom of the cabinet, I placed several shims evenly distributed under the cabinet, replaced the trim and her cooktop was back to level.

I would never have seen the problem just standing in front of the cooktop and looking.

I Love It too!

Posted 2011-07-07T16:32:46+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+