Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Painting vintage furniture... want "beachy" look

Hi, Online Community.

Craig here, with a message from an Apron blog reader. Sabina was reading an article about staining and painting furniture and wants some advice on painting a vintage dresser:

I just purchased a vintage dresser and would like to give it a beachy look (my home is like a cottage/beachy decor). What kind of paint should i use? Oil based?? I do not want to protect it from stains, glass ring type of stains and so on. I used a latex based paint for a coffee table and when moist hits the surface such as water, it kinda ruffs up in a wrinkle type of way.. I did primer the table prior to paiting it.

Please help. I'm kinda new at this sort of thing. How do i get that glossy profesional finish? like those cool shabbyshick potterybarn type of furniture? I got few nice pieces from potterybarn and would like to create same finishes.

Thank you for all your help, sincerely, Sabina R.

Thanks! I'll repost your response(s) over on the blog. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-31T19:37:41+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Hey Craig,

Thanks for forwarding Sabrina's great question!

Sabrina is definitely on the right path if she starts with oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain and follows it with Behr oil-based semi-gloss. Both will help protect the surface against water in her outside spaces.

Creating her shabby chic look will require using faux glaze in the color of her choice.

Here is an example that one of my customers produced using Behr Semi-gloss Cotton Whisper as her base coat and Martha Living Metallic Glaze Muscavado.

Black Lacquer Table.jpg Before  MLMetlGlzTbl2.jpg After

The steps she used are as follows:

1) Lightly buff sand the surface with 220-grit sandpaper;

2) Wipe off the sanding dust using a dry terry towel;

3) Apply one coat of Zinsser Cover Stain;

4) Wait at least two-hours until primer dries;

5) Apply two coats of Behr Semi-gloss Cotton Whisper;

6) Wait at least six-hours between coats;

7) Apply very small dabs of Muscavado using a brush to streak them across the surface in the direction of the wood grain;

8) Streaks will appear very light ... for heavier streaks apply slightly more Muscavado glaze;

9) Allow to set just two-minutes and then wipe off in the direction of the wood grain using lint-free cotton rags (tee shirt material);

10) This will create a very faint streak of the darker glaze across the surface; and

11) Allow the glaze to dry and use satin finish water-based polyurethane as your final protective coating.

PRODUCTION NOTES: Glaze may be applied heavier and wiped off later if you desire a heavier faux wood grain. It is common for shabby schick finishes created with glaze to appear very light ... almost a faint accent that makes the piece look aged. Other techniques that "age" shabby schick furniture include: claw hammer dings, sandpaper buffed corners, wax applied to corners before painting (prevent paint from clinging and allows paint to be peeled off easily), and many more.

Finally, I am including a video I produced for another member of The Home Depot DIY Community. This video shows the simple technique of applying and wiping glaze to create a more traditional faux finish on cabinets and trim.

When you complete your project, please take time to come back and share photos as well as describe your technique.

Best Answer

Posted 2012-08-02T14:41:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks so much PatInPaint. I posted your response http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/7-things-to-consider-before-you-stain-or-paint-furniture/, and encouraged Sabina to stop by to see your video. 

-Craig

Posted 2012-08-03T16:10:09+0000  by HomeDepotCraig
If you like this thread, you may also like:

How To Faux Exterior Doors

Posted 2015-10-08T21:20:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+