Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting vinyl shutters

We're wanting to add some curb appeal to the front of our house. We have white vinyl shutters next to our windows and are wanting to paint them black. I've seen a few sites say not to paint light to dark. Any opinions or suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-09T00:49:46+0000  by LeslieJ LeslieJ

Welcome to our community Bigmemz!

If your shutters are painted, not colored vinyl, they can be repainted without using a primer. If they are painted with a shiny finish, you will want to scuff them slightly, but other than that, you won't need to do anything else.

- Christine :)

Posted 2013-10-21T14:23:14+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

My vinyl shutters are also painted very dark green and I want them black, but do they still need a primer before repainting?

Posted 2013-10-19T13:56:38+0000  by bigmemz
be sure to look at the back side of the shutters. Some vynil shutters are NOT PAINTABLE and will be imprinted on the shutter.
Posted 2013-09-24T21:29:54+0000  by Frank855

fisacura,

So long as you your shutters were already dark, you should not have problems. Also, most shutter mounting systems allow for a certain amount of expansion.

Posted 2013-09-04T16:23:08+0000  by ordjen

I saw that you recommend against dark shutters (due to heat retention).  I have a somewhat unique situation.  I'd really like to paint my shutters black.  I believe in my case it will not be an issue because of the following:

1. They are currently hunter green - a dark shade of green (well, faded but they were once hunter green lol)

2. This side of the house has a N/NE exposure so the sun is only shining on the house until about 10:30-11:00 AM. I actually have more of an algae problem because of this (this side gets such little sun that things don't dry very quickly).

Would you agree in this case black would not be an issue?

Posted 2013-09-04T13:06:01+0000  by fishacura

Indy,

It is never a bad idea to give surfaces a scuff sanding to increase adhesion.

How long after painting did the paint scrape off?  Acrylic paints fully cure over a period of 3 or 4 weeks, during which time its adhesion increases. It shold be farely well adhered after 24 hours.  However, if adhesion continues to be a problem, you might consider using a premium dedicated primer such as Glidden's Gripper or Zinsser's 1-2-3. Have them grayed up to increase the likelyhood of good coverage by your blue finish coat.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-08-24T06:51:57+0000  by ordjen

I have dark blue vinyl shutters that have faded and I am wanting to repaint with a more saturated blue, not much difference in the shade of the original color. I used Behr Marquee on my front door (painted vinyl clad wood door), and I painted 1 shutter. I noticed that I can easily peel the paint off the shutter, especially on the smoother sections, but even the textured areas can have the paint scratched off.

The shutters were thouroughly cleaned. Is there anything else we can do to get better adhesion?  I'm planning on taking the shutters down (16 in total) and painting them with a paint sprayer. Should I sand them or prime them beforehand?

Posted 2013-08-23T17:16:26+0000  by indy

Katbro77,

Going to a lighter color does not present a problem from heat absorbtion. However, such a strong color change will probably require two coats for good coverage.

Hope this has helped

Posted 2013-03-22T20:39:35+0000  by ordjen

Hello!  My husband and I are buying our first house!  And the neighborhood has very similiar houses, all with burgundy shutters.  I'd really like to paint them white.  After reading down through all of the questions, I didn't see where anyone went from dark to white.  Would this cause a problem?  If not, what's the recommended paint/spray paint to cover well?

Thans!

Posted 2013-03-22T19:35:52+0000  by katbro77

DTopping,

You should have no problem with your anticipated color change.

Posted 2012-10-17T02:18:18+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+