Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Painting vinyl shutters

I’m painting my exterior vinyl shutters and just picked up a gallon of Behr Alkyd Satin Enamel from my local Home Depot, but now I’m second-guessing whether this is the correct type of paint to be using. The HD employee picked this paint when I told him my project, and when I asked if the paint was 100% latex he said yes. Some of the shutters are in very hot sun for most of the day, so expansion, fading, and peeling are issues I want to avoid. Is the alkyd paint appropriate for exterior plastic shutters? And if I already painted one coat of the alkyd paint, will I have to remove it before I repaint the shutters?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-28T12:33:44+0000  by MahogT MahogT

Hey MahogT,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

The Behr Alkyd Satin Enamel is a very durable and great choice for painting your exterior shutters, but it is not water-based. 

Alkyd itself refers to the resin or one of the materials that make up the paint, and it is not water soluble. 

With that in mind, as long as the existing exterior shutters are clean and have been prepped properly (primer included), then using this product will give you long lasting results. 

Just make sure to use clean up with mineral spirits or a similar product rather than water. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,
Joseph

Posted 2018-05-28T18:37:29+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+