Sign In to join the community | Help

Painting wood

What is the best material to use to fill in the uneven parts after scrapping peeling paint from wood? The wood is located outside and is exposed to the elements. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-02T16:36:49+0000  by Zw_iCK--4 Zw_iCK--4





The best is to as much as possible avoid making gouges in the first place, however, a few are inevitable. If possible, use a power sander and "feather  out" the roughness. If patching is neccessary of shallow areas, regular pre-mixed vinyl based spackling compound , which is labeled interior/exterior may be used. There are also dedicated vinyl based pre-mixed wood fillers. One or more coats are given and then sanded smooth after they hae dried.


For areas which move, such as the joints where siding boards meets one another, acrylic or urethane caulk is better suited, as it can flex with the seasonal movement .


Where deep holes are encountered, I have used "Bondo" for years with good results. Bondo is a catalysed polyester filler which dries chemically in about 5 minutes. It can be sanded, but is not as easy to sand as wood fillers, so try to leave the surface smooth, to miimize the sanding needed.


It is a good idea to spot prime these patches before starting the finish coat.


Hope this has helped.




Posted 2013-10-02T17:03:54+0000  by ordjen

Ordjen, thank you for responding. The unevenness I am referring to is where layers of paint began to peel from the wood. I then scraped those areas which left some of the paint in tact.  The rest scraped away creating the unevenness. Would I still use the same patching materials you suggested or something else?

Posted 2013-10-03T00:47:36+0000  by Zw_iCK--4





It sounds like you are basically looking at unevenness in the remaining paint. To get rid of this with spackling compound, you would have wall to wall spackle. Some uneveness will just have to be accepted, short of stripping the entire siding, either with chemicals or with a heat gun. Either way, an immense amount of work.


I often used a smal, light weight  belt sander using a 3X18 belt, loaded with a 50 or even 36 grit paper. This is really course sanpaper, but it will not clog readily. It will also not unduly eat into the wood as long as you stay with the grain. After cutting through the peeling paint, the wood should then be smoothed down with a 100 or 120 grit paper. This can be done with a conventional oscillating sander.


Finally, prime the entire house with a good exterior primer, either oil or acrylic. Have it tinted toward the finish color of the house. A full, genrous prime coat will aid in hiding uneveness.


A flat house paint will help hide any remaining uneveness.


Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-10-03T03:20:50+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question